Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transfer case seal repair Discovery II

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Transfer case seal repair Discovery II

Is there any way to replace the faulty transfer case seal without dropping the entire case? The Rave CD in its description says the case need to come off the truck.
The local Rover mechanic seemed sure that the case would NOT need to be completely removed.
I am fairly handy with a manual with the proper tools but this is a job I will leave to them.
Just wondering if I should be prepared that the case will need to come off adding to the number of hours they will be charging me for?
Has anyone completed the job themselves? Degree of difficulty?
I was thinking of replacing the top end gaskets (down the valley/pan gasket) and let the pros do the transfer case.
Cheers
2001 Discovery SE 110,000.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Would depend on what is leaking. Rear seal you just have to drop the drive shaft. Bottom plate is maybe a heat shield and wiggle around parking brake cable. Front seal would need TC to come out. There are seals on top as well. See attached from RAVE.

Lot of guys run 85W150 heavier oil to quiet older units, and leak slower. Bet some White Shepard would help.

Also, check you breather line. See attached. It terminates in a banjo bolt, the bolt is hollow, it and/or the line gets plugged with mud, and oil fumes build up pressure and leak through seals. Also does this on the axles. Pix of gunked up bolt that was cleaned out.

Attached Thumbnails Transfer case seal repair Discovery II-p1030613.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 xfr banjo bolt.pdf (586.4 KB, 589 views)
d2 xfr case rear seal.pdf (374.4 KB, 624 views)
d2 xfr case internal 1.pdf (759.3 KB, 468 views)
Old 01-21-2012, 03:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How bad is the leak?

My TC seal was weeping and I pondered replacing it. But I drained it and refilled with RP 85w140 and the weeping had subsided. Might be an option for you. 2.2qt in the TC.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:01 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Go power scrub your t/case and see where the leak is coming from and get back to us.

Old 01-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Smile

Already had the area cleaned up, dye added and leak spotted coming out of the main seal, depositing on the support crossbar.
I have known the case was leaking for about the last year...just noticing a drip or two on the driveway and the support bar always having some fluid on it.
I had recently driven the truck on a cross county drive and after the first day of driving about 1000 miles noticed considerably more fluid under the truck. The undercarriage from the transfer case back was nicely coated with oil... I mean COATED! Enough to make me worry a bit.
Needless to say I made it fine, just slowed it down and "limped in". I had the fluid topped off and leaked diagnosed about 2 months ago. Now leak is as it was before my travels and I drive the truck without any worries.
What should I pay to have the seal replaced? The independant guy is on hourly rate. What would it take to do the job? 4-5 hours worth of work to drop the case and replace seal?
Am I doing any damage to the case by not replacing the seal? Vibration? Or is the seal just to hold the fluid back? I assume that if I do not run the case dry, the case and parts attached to the case will be fine?
Thanks for the responses guys...

Old 01-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Rock Crawling

I took some time to look at the White Shepperd stop leak and like to give it a try? 8 oz bottle should do it?
It would make my day if the stuff actually worked. I am in Cananda right now and hope I can find it here. Have it shipped if only available in the States.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:01 PM
4wd Low
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CANAMDiscovery
I took some time to look at the White Shepperd stop leak and like to give it a try? 8 oz bottle should do it?
It would make my day if the stuff actually worked. I am in Cananda right now and hope I can find it here. Have it shipped if only available in the States.
what did you do with your leak?

Old 08-16-2012, 09:33 PM
Rock Crawling

Hello,
I have been fortunate to not have any issues with any more leaks.
I did change the fluid in the case after about 2 months after adding the White Shepperd, noticed a small amount of leaking from the same seal, but after a couple hundred miles the case is looking free of leaks.
I think I have been lucky with the additive, but would definitely recommend trying it.
I see it on the shelves of O'reillys Auto parts for around $20.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:04 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

just make sure you get the right White Shepperd product they have a half dozen different product on there website. I used there rear main engine sealer in my RRC and it worked great.

Old 08-17-2012, 10:59 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For future reference for anyone else that stumbles across this thread. To replace the input seal to the transfer case you will need to remove the case. The input seal is a round seal that seals onto the output shaft of the transmision. You will need to use a driver to install it after the old seal is removed. I put a new seal on a replacement case that I purchased. Went in without much issue, but it is a job dropping the case, and I even had the Disco up on a lift.