Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission cooler line help needed please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 11:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Transmission cooler line help needed please.

Hey everyone... hope all is well. Have been busy as heck so not around much lately.
Anyway, I finally got some time to do some repairs on the Disco, one of which was replacing the transmission cooler lines. They were an amazing royal pain, but with some time get them in. I finished up everything today, and filled the transmission fluid and got her going. To my disappointment, the passenger side hose is leaking at the compression fitting on the sump. This is the one that took all the time too, as it is up near the top and there is barely any room to work.
I need to get back in there tomorrow and try to figure it out, but wanted to see if there are any tips/tricks/advice to this. It took forever to thread the fitting into place, but we were carefully able to do it after a hour of trying. Both that and the bottom hose felt the same while tightening, but so I am not too concerned it was cross threaded. I am thinking that maybe I just did not tighten it down enough, but also the possibility that the o-ring might be messed up somehow too.
So, if you have also replaced this line, I would appreciate any help. I'm really not looking forward to crawling back under to mess with this, but I'm looking forward to getting the Disco back on the road.
Also, SB and others I discussed the cooling issues with... we will see if it is still the same as I unfortunately had to replace the entire cooling system once again...even though it was brand new...UGH. New radiator, hoses, fan, clutch, etc. The new fan I had put in a couple months before was defective...and made the rest of the cooling system defective quickly.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle

SB... changed every single hose, radiator, intake hose, air box, fan/clutch, MAF, steering/ACE lines, trans and oil cooler lines, battery and a few other small bits.
*edit* Replied to your question from the other thread here...oops.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Any of this funded by supplier? All damaged by the fan that came apart? As far as hose, any boneyards nearby?

Old 04-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Any of this funded by supplier? All damaged by the fan that came apart? As far as hose, any boneyards nearby?
Yes, all due to the defective fan and yes, they really came thru. The line is new, so no need for a boneyard, but I just have to figure out why it is leaking at the connection. I'm just keeping my fingers tightly crossed it is just not tight enough. It is an amazing pain to get it in at that location. I'm having nightmares that it is cross threaded, but honestly can not see how that would be the case. It is very hard to access, and I have to take some stuff out to do so again. You ever replace or access that line? I figured being on the bottom there have to be some off roaders who have messed that line up and replaced.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:11 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It's easier to access if you drop the back of the transmission/transfer case, or remove the motor mounts to lower the engine.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by ptschram
It's easier to access if you drop the back of the transmission/transfer case, or remove the motor mounts to lower the engine.
I'm wondering how much is involved with dropping the back of the trans/tcase. If we don't find the easy fix today (tighten it), looks like that is what will have to happen. I guess I will dig into the RAVE to see about Plan B if needed, although that won't be a job for today.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably the O ring either got tweaked or came off in the struggle. Tightening the line may appear to stop the leak but if there is no O ring it will **** like crazy when the fluid gets good and hot.

Best to pop the line back off and inspect. Once the fitting is started threading you should be able to wiggle the line and tighten the fitting most of the way with your fingers.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Pretty much like Higgs said. We took the line out again, and the o-ring did look like it got messed up. Couple that with maybe a turn too little and that is where the leak was.
So, good news overall in that the job is done and all looks good. Obviously, we needed another mess before it was over so while we were adding fluid the front fitting popped off the trans cooler. That was a new line and I thought I had it clicked in but being new it was tighter. So, I need to get some more fluid tomorrow but in general we are looking good!
Thanks all...this one I have to say scared the heck out of me at first thinking it was cross threaded somehow.