Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission problem and +++

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 04:03 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission problem and +++

I was goin to school this morning and my green manual light and my sport light started flashing after it reved by it self while i was on idle... when i accelerated the engine was working twice as much just to move it from a start so i turned off the ignition and turned it back on and the lights were gone. i do not know if the traction control has anything to do with this but the light comes on almost every time i hit a bumb and the abs sometimes comes on when ever im on the highway and there isnt even any snow. i almost crashed into a car because of the abs! my car is a bundle of problems and i hope you guys can give me a heads up on these problems. it is a disco 2 2000 with 120 000 miles on it and i just changed 2 hose that cools the radiator fluid. my temperature light comes on often and turns off after. if anyone can help me it will be more than appreciated!

Old 02-10-2011, 04:14 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll take problem number 1. The Transmission problems you're having sound very much like a battery or alternator issue. Get it tested. Anything below 13A will throw your tranny into limp mode and that's why the lights are flashing.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yloDiscoII
I'll take problem number 1. The Transmission problems you're having sound very much like a battery or alternator issue. Get it tested. Anything below 13A will throw your tranny into limp mode and that's why the lights are flashing.
Bingo. Limp mode = 3rd gear only. Your alt needs to test between 13.6-14.4 and your battery needs to be sufficient in size and output.

FYI - my cheap/weak battery "checked out" according to the auto parts store test but was too weak for the Rover. I upgraded to a proper size with a 34 series and 800cca/1000ca, $100.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ YES! Especially on the batteries testing OK. If it was my money I'd buy a new battery.

As for the temp light, you may have an air bubble so bleed the cooling system. Since you've a 2000 you may or not have a bleed screw on the top hose.

ABS- It's going to engage over some bumps, especially worse with bad shocks as the tire will loose contact with the pavement, so that can be "normal" but the rest isn't. It is possible that the rest is a voltage issue but it could also be any number of things. If you test the sensors with a multimeter you should be getting around 1000 ohms, anything in that ballpark is ok. If you go to an autoparts store and get your codes read you may have a 1591 (I think that's it) code - rough road blah blah blah. Even if you don't have any lights on it may still be there. If that code is present there will be codes in the SLABS ecu that will tell you which sensor/hub to look at but standard code readers can't access those codes so you'll either need an ABS amigo or other LR software or a dealer/independant to read them.