Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn the key, no start DI

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Is there any real need for the use of the damn cap screws? Wouldn't a standard bolt head do? What advantage is the cap screw?

I am not a fastener expert, but unless there is a definite advantane I was planning on replacing with a standard bolt.

Anyone?
That top bolt is a bugger. The only issue I would see with usinf a regular bolt is clearance. But as long as you can tighten it, then you know you can un-tighten it. But you may have trouble finding a bolt with a small enough head that leave you enough clearance to get a socket on it without bumping up against the starter body, and there really isn't enough room in there to get a box end wrench on it. Outside of that, I'd say give a few bolts a try and see how it works. Couldn't hurt...

Old 04-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey all with all the advise you guys gave me about and the info from danny lee 77 disco i dropped the starter cleaned it and replaced the ground cable no more starting problems it starts every time i was just reading about the fuse box from okdiscoguy about the fuse box. i have been tracing wires for about a month now and just pulled the fuse box and it has water marks all over it im looking for a replacement for my 97 disco se now. the last big rain storm we had here in maine my front and both front side windows were wet from the inside. found out it was the front window seal replaced that no more moisture inside now that i got it all dried out hopefully when i find the new fuse box that will take care of alot of my electrical problems thanks everyone i could not have done it without this site and all of you now maybe the wife will be happy when i get it inspected . armyeng

Old 04-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Baja
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad to hear you weere able to resolve it. As I work my way trhrough mine, I have found every ground severely corroded, which has to add resistance and is not a good situation. I have been cutting each one and doing a new one art a more convient location.

I removed my washer reservoir, temporarily while I do a lot of stuff. That vastly improved access to a lot of things under the hood. I also found most of the wrap on the wire bundles to be severely degraded. I am not impressed with the routing of most of the bundles or with the locaqtion of most of the under the hood electronics.

So while I have that exposed, I am cleaning the area thoroughly, plan to re-do the majority of the bundles as far as bereaking them down into sub-bundles, improving the routing, wrapping them much better and possible relocating at least some of the electronics to a better position.

I don't like the poosition of the main ecu, fuse panel or most of the other under the hood electronics. I am accustomed to aircraft and missile system wiring and mounting of components, this stuff is a poor excuse for the level of excellence I expect.

And what is up with all the little black circles of waterproof tape over all them damn holes in the panels. What a pitiful way to deal with that.