Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Ultimate Cooling System; Complete System Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 08:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 181 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Aaron, I'll grab a picture for you in the next couple days, but I'm just running a like $50 adjustable fan controller. 30/40 amp relay in it running a switched ground, not switched power. I got the controller off of ebay, but I think it came from Jegs. It just has the radiator push in style thermometer on it. Some people seem not to like them, but I haven't had the first issue with it. I actually used some CPU heat sync thermal compound on it this most recent time. Easy to find at your local electronics store, but not necessary as I ran without any on the factory rad for a year or two.
I appreciate it. I saw the link to the controller you posted on another thread. I think they also sell one with a NPT sensor. Might go for that one and I could plug it into the Glo-Shift bleeder.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:00 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Rat rod catch can?

The following users liked this post:
number9 (01-07-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 05:28 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Lisa Bunch
Rat rod catch can?
They're not really important as vehicles went without them for decades until they were invented, and some vehicles (such as Toyota Tundras) still don't have them.
True reservoirs are not needed to simply fill the coolant systems on vehicles with a radiator cap. Many of us are too young or too old (memory gone) to remember or don't know most radiator filler necks didn't even have a nipple to attach an overflow. After a nipple and tube were added the first "reservoirs" were simply overflow containers (aptly called overflow tanks). The reservoir plumbing and cooling systems later allowed the overflowed coolant to be sucked back (recovered) into the cooling system as it cooled.

Important is a relative term as in decades past there was never a shortage of overheating engines. At least with a catch can as Lisa Bunch showed us we can reuse the liquid coolant that may be lost when your cap occasionally vents.

There are maintenance advantages, less things to leak/break with a simplified system and removing the reservoir may free up some space to store flammable fluids......

Last edited by number9; 01-07-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
True reservoirs are not needed to simply fill the coolant systems on vehicles with a radiator cap. Many of us are too young or too old (memory gone) to remember or don't know most radiator filler necks didn't even have a nipple to attach an overflow. After a nipple and tube were added the first "reservoirs" were simply overflow containers (aptly called overflow tanks). The reservoir plumbing and cooling systems later allowed the overflowed coolant to be sucked back (recovered) into the cooling system as it cooled.

Important is a relative term as in decades past there was never a shortage of overheating engines. At least with a catch can as Lisa Bunch showed us we can reuse the liquid coolant that may be lost when your cap occasionally vents.

There are maintenance advantages, less things to leak/break with a simplified system and removing the reservoir may free up some space to store flammable fluids......
Correct.

My Chevelle does NOT have an overflow, the hose leaves the cap section and drains right on the ground. Having an overflow does not really help with purging air either.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
I appreciate it. I saw the link to the controller you posted on another thread. I think they also sell one with a NPT sensor. Might go for that one and I could plug it into the Glo-Shift bleeder.
Name:  wk6uA9C.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  1.63 MB

Name:  KhsenrJ.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  1.68 MB

Here's my fan controller setup. I mounted the controller itself next to the battery and pushed the sensor in right next to the radiator inlet for the closest possible temperature readings. You're correct, they do indeed make one with a 1/4" NPT sensor. If this one ever dies I very well may go to that kind.

Pay no mind to my fan mounting. It's a little janky, but it works fine as long as it's not overtightened. Even added foam and a little RTV to guard againt friction wearing through the radiator.

Rat rod catch can?
That's the idea! Those Heineken cans are neat. Never seen them shaped like a keg. A real bummer they don't make a better beer!

Last edited by Alex_M; 01-07-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:49 PM
Camel Trophy

Name:  BBqhxwE.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  1.51 MB

Here is how I have the radiator mounted in. Right now I only have one L bracket to hold it in place. I am also going to add one to the other side, but I didn't have one when I installed the radiator. Frankly, one is holding it fine, but two would make it very secure.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

I was thinking if you took the lable off it would look like a mini keg. Could also use a Foster's can and leave the label on as they are commonwealth, or maybe someone from GB can send you a big can of English beer. Can't have a foreign beer can on a LR...

Old 01-08-2018, 08:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

You need THESE CLAMPS...

Attached Thumbnails The Ultimate Cooling System; Complete System Upgrade-20180108_092332.jpg   The Ultimate Cooling System; Complete System Upgrade-20180108_092322.jpg  
Old 01-08-2018, 09:57 AM
Camel Trophy

I was thinking if you took the lable off it would look like a mini keg. Could also use a Foster's can and leave the label on as they are commonwealth, or maybe someone from GB can send you a big can of English beer. Can't have a foreign beer can on a LR...
Haha, as many American made/designed parts as I've got on this thing (including the engine) I could also use an American beer. Been thinking PBR, my favorite sh*t beer. Helps that I've got a few left in the garage. Might be a fun project today.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:57 AM
Camel Trophy

Shane, those clamps are neat. I like how they wrap on the inside. What's up with all the washers, though?

Quick Reply: The Ultimate Cooling System; Complete System Upgrade