Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Ultimate Cooling System; Complete System Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 10:59 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Been thinking PBR, my favorite sh*t beer. Helps that I've got a few left in the garage. Might be a fun project today.
Project will be to thaw the frozen beer?

My first job out of HS was in NE DC. A couple of months later when I hit the big 18 went to the nearby liquor store. Long neck PBR was $2.99 a case (24) + the small deposit. Became my beer of choice for quite a while. Went really good with the Snyder's pretzels watching the tube when still living with my folks in N VA.

I was glad to see it reappear in some of the music venues and bars a decade ago as it was much better than the beast or other low cost options at the time.

Bad beer is a relative and what came first, 24 hour day or the case?

Old 01-08-2018, 04:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 184 Likes on 117 Posts

Here's my fan controller setup. I mounted the controller itself next to the battery and pushed the sensor in right next to the radiator inlet for the closest possible temperature readings. You're correct, they do indeed make one with a 1/4" NPT sensor. If this one ever dies I very well may go to that kind.

Pay no mind to my fan mounting. It's a little janky, but it works fine as long as it's not overtightened. Even added foam and a little RTV to guard againt friction wearing through the radiator.
Thanks Alex! Looks good!

Old 01-08-2018, 07:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 965 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by number9
Project will be to thaw the frozen beer?

My first job out of HS was in NE DC. A couple of months later when I hit the big 18 went to the nearby liquor store. Long neck PBR was $2.99 a case (24) + the small deposit. Became my beer of choice for quite a while. Went really good with the Snyder's pretzels watching the tube when still living with my folks in N VA.

I was glad to see it reappear in some of the music venues and bars a decade ago as it was much better than the beast or other low cost options at the time.

Bad beer is a relative and what came first, 24 hour day or the case?
$2.99! Wish that were still the case. Wonder what that translates to after inflation.

I've had a lot of PBR in my day's. Was actually the last drink I had before my 21st birthday, shotgunned, on the roof of my college's art building. I don't recall my first legal drink. That was some kind of night.

At any rate, I've got one "catch can" completed and now working on extras.

Name:  RLc8QoI.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  1.48 MB

Can also see my power steering pump there. Rebuild write up (with video) coming soon.

Old 01-08-2018, 08:51 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Shane, those clamps are neat. I like how they wrap on the inside. What's up with all the washers, though?
Want some?

Pm me your address.

Old 01-08-2018, 09:53 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Shane, those clamps are neat. I like how they wrap on the inside. What's up with all the washers, though?
Those are the Belleville Springs and it helps keep constant tension on the clamp.
These are real slick clamps.
> https://www.mcmaster.com/#hose-clamps/=1b1ni0y

Have a look at the NORMA/ABA site, they make great clamps. The ABA Safe is more of a traditional worm clamp, but it has the protective extra "tail" that keep the hose from getting pinched.

> Hose Clamps | NORMA Americas Distribution Services

http://www.normagroup.com.au/CA2579B...ant_Torque.pdf

Old 01-09-2018, 11:08 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by shanechevelle
Want some?

Pm me your address.
That's a really generous request, I appreciate it a lot! To be honest I wouldn't care to try them. I'll shoot you a message. Thanks!

Old 01-09-2018, 02:39 PM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Alex, if you want to try another quality hose clamp with the inner liner, then go for a GATES 32320 or 32324. Rockauto has them for about $1.42, but you can get them locally.
If I need them quick I call a local hydraulic hose repair shop and they carry tons of sizes.

> More Information for GATES 32320

> More Information for GATES 32324

Old 01-09-2018, 03:00 PM
Camel Trophy

That's great info. I really like the ability to get them locally. I don't keep a ton of spares of stuff like this, so when I need them I usually just run to town. Might pick a couple of these up, too, and compare the three styles.

In other news, got my "catch can" installed and she seems to be doing her job.

I also have been watching my temp with the 187 thermostat. I switched back to the big hole. It might not be optimal for 16 degree weather, but it seems to be doing very well from 20 degrees up to 53 degrees today! Glad it's warmed up some. I hate the cold.

It seems to be cruising right around 188-190 degrees, going up a grade (holding 4th, not downshifting) around 190-194, and about 194-195 on acceleration whether it be light, medium, or hard accel. Idle seems to be 188-194 also. I'm very pleased. We'll see if these temps hold as it warms up more or if I end up going back to the 180 degree thermostat.

Name:  o1UlMkC.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  1.66 MB

Old 01-09-2018, 03:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

OMG, somehow I missed seeing that great light switch in the plastic box, whatzit for, and it needs a cover plate.

Old 01-09-2018, 06:02 PM
Camel Trophy

Haha, I knew that was gonna get some questions. Don't judge me too hard on it. That was a temporary fix for my radiator fan that never got replaced. I've got another switch in the cab now that I just need to run a relay for.

Quick Reply: The Ultimate Cooling System; Complete System Upgrade