Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water pump change

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 10:25 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Some people like owning tools that they will be using more than once, plus I prefer this design as it holds the pulley tight, is long, and USA made . With a DII you will be using it multiple times. What does the universal pulley holder in the AAP look like, this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=43989

I think there are a few special tools all DII owners should own besides the basic socket sets and combo wrenches: a fan pulley holder, 3 legged puller, impact wrench (electric or air), 42" breaker bar, large strap wrench, 9/16 ratcheting wrench (for driveshaft), 36mm wrench, cable hose clamp pliers, multi-meter, ABS scanner, ODBII scanner, interior body panel clip pry bar set, magnetic pickup tool, damaged bolt extractors, 3 ton floor jack, 6 ton jack stands, kroil. There are more but those are really handy.

Last edited by lipadj46; 09-14-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:47 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Water pump came in today I bought the more expensive deutsch parts one from ebay, the castings look great, the impeller is metal and turns fine, and the sealing surfaces are smooth. The gasket looks a bit dodgey so I will buy one from advanced when I get my fan clutch removal tool kit. Remove and replace water pump is a go for this weekend. I might do it all pro-like and do a good write up with pictures and a video demonstration of the operation of the advanced auto fan clutch removal tool.

Old 09-15-2010, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

write-ups are nice, it's the least you can do to give back to the forum that helps us all so much.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:42 PM
Drifting

I'd LOVE to see your results, as I'm about to tackle this very project NEXT weekend

Old 09-18-2010, 03:40 PM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundu
D1 and D2 have the same size nut, so you should be good there. I used the fan clutch tool from Advance, but you could just as well get by with a big shifter IMO. I don't know about the Imperial fan clutch size, that one you will have to figure out for yourself.
Same size. I switched to the Imperial fan clutch on mine. Sticks out about 1/2" further but doesn't rub against the fan shroud. The best part is if you need to take it off again, there's enough room to get on the nut with a big crescent wrench.

Originally Posted by dcarr1971
Save yourself a lot of grief and just buy yourself a 36mm fan clutch wrench. My experience has been that the tools at Advanced and Autozone are worn out. i.e.- the 36mm fan clutch wrench is stretched out to 38-39 mm.
Exactly! I rented the tool from Advanced Auto and it was so worn out, I couldn't get on the nut.

Spike is right in his write-up. Just put the spanner on there and give it a good whack with a hammer and it will break free. (really helps if you leave the serpentine belt on while doing it)

Eric

Old 09-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Mudding

As soon as I pulled the top radiator hose and top fan shroud off and looked at the nut I knew I was in for a rough day. The previous owner had apparently tried to do this job before me and screwed up the nut big time, my brand new tool couldn't get a hold on it. I eventually had to take the water pump off with the fan clutch and fan attached. After getting a pair of vise grips on it with it held firmly in my bench vise I finally managed to tear off the impeller. I then had to notch the steel shaft of the water pump and fix it in the vise again, still could not get the nut to budge and I'm not a small guy. It took an oxyacetylene torch to cut it off. The fan is a bit singed, but usable for now. The important part is that I saved the pulley. I hate my previous owner.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:34 PM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SDinDS
Same size. I switched to the Imperial fan clutch on mine. Sticks out about 1/2" further but doesn't rub against the fan shroud. The best part is if you need to take it off again, there's enough room to get on the nut with a big crescent wrench.

Exactly! I rented the tool from Advanced Auto and it was so worn out, I couldn't get on the nut.

Spike is right in his write-up. Just put the spanner on there and give it a good whack with a hammer and it will break free. (really helps if you leave the serpentine belt on while doing it)

Eric
Hitting it has never worked for me (an many others), I would rather use the proper tool instead of sending a 36mm wrench careening across the garage or cracking a radiator hose.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:54 PM
Mudding

Ok I finally got her up and running again, the cooling system bleed procedure in the RAVE manual worked like a charm. I will have a writeup done sometime this week. I ran into one final problem in getting this repair done. My previous owner apparently stripped out the bleed screw on the top radiator hose so when I went to fill it as per the manual I found that there was no allen head screw to be taken out just some sort of epoxy filling the hole, which I had to drill out, so I've got it plugged up for now. A new top radiator hose as well as a new fan is on the way and will be changed out as soon as the mail man drops them off. I hate jack-leg shade-tree mechanics. One other tip when using the imperial viscous clutch fan, elsewhere on these forums it says to drill the holes on the fan out using a 3/4" drill bit, this is a typo. Using the M10 1.50 x 20mm screws as per the previous post you should drill the holes out with a 3/8" drill bit. I used a 7/16" myself but thats because it's all I had available and it worked just as well. Land Rovers are awesome, Jack Legs suck!