Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 11:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKimble
I added a usb power port at my center console panel. No more cigarette usb adapter and it only cost me $4.
Very Nice mod. I think that you should make a "How To" thread for this one.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:31 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
don't you just love crawling under for a quick job and finding 19000 other things you need to do. my a.d.d. never lets me finish the job I start, until every subsequent finding has been dealt with on the way.
also, if that compressor ever craps out, I have 2 good ones just sitting here, but not sure how devilish shipping is to that 3rd world country, you live in.
Thanks Dusty, one of these days I may just turn up on your doorstep as I owe myself a return visit to Texas and the US. .............."third world country, you live in".................ssshhhh, don't tell the French that they still think they still rule the world...............well...........between meals.................but you are dead right though....

When I'd finished last evening I was testing the SLS raising and lowering the truck, being a bit of a SA I couldn't see the buttons properly through the sidescreen and the sounder kept on 'donging' at one stage, I thought '****' it's gone wrong and then realized I'd pressed the 'hill decent' button instead

I tightened up the wheel (lug) nuts today and the rear shocker bolts now the truck is back on the 'deck'. All seems good.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:42 PM

After I finished off the last jobs on fitting new SLS springs I started on my headlights with the 3M rejuvenating kit recommended on here. I've finished one light............jeeeez, you wouldn't believe the difference it now looks like new again apart from a small stone chip I couldn't polish out. Brilliant kit for the money and to replace the headlights with new ones would have cost at least £400-600. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/37043...13=80&ff14=108

I must thank whoever did theirs on this forum and recommended the 3M kit

Tomorrow it's onto the new engine and gearbox mountings............that'll be fun I'm sure.........

Last edited by OffroadFrance; 04-17-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
After I finished off the last jobs on fitting new SLS springs I started on my headlights with the 3M rejuvenating kit recommended on here. I've finished one light............jeeeez, you wouldn't believe the difference it now looks like new again apart from a small stone chip I couldn't polish out. Brilliant kit for the money and to replace the headlights with new ones would have cost at least £400-600. LAND ROVER DISCOVERY 2 R/H HEADLAMP`03 ON (LHD MODELS) | eBay

I must thank whoever did theirs on this forum and recommended the 3M kit
AutoZone had the Mothers Kit on Sale for $12.99 the other day. The good one with a drill powered polishing ball. So, I bought one. Have not started it yet, been busy with another project. My lights are not bad yet, just a little fade so will touch up, but my wife's VW lenses are getting bad.

I just checked, and it's still on sale. Just click the save now link below the price.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:18 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisRoverGuy
Been a good week for me. Feel like I've posted here every day for the last 5-6 days.

Installed a replacement window regulator. Old regulator broke at some welds/rivets. I started thinking that I could drill out the welds/rivets and then refasten the regulator. Or maybe just JB Weld it.

Ultimately, I went online, found a replacement for $35, and swapped it in. Driver window works again.

Also installed a ladder.

Remaining on the to-do list:
Fix busted radiator hose (part on order)
Replace broken trans sump clip (part on order)
Replace upstream/front o2 sensors--parts arrived today. Going to JB Blast and read some threads on this tonight
Replace PS pump - for the near future
The battle wages on. Fixed the busted radiator hose with 5/16 fuel injector line. In my opinion, this is a must-do "upgrade." The line that was in there was so brittle and prone to breakage. Will send back the replacement hose.

Replaced one of the front o2 sensors (the one that was throwing codes). I'll get around to the other eventually, but found the install process incredibly frustrating and was happy to stop after one. (Any reason I should make an immediate effort to replace the other front o2 sensor?)

Trans sump clip was delayed in mail. Will be a 5-minute change when it arrives.

This clears the path for the PS pump replacement!

Old 04-18-2014, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by SuperSport
AutoZone had the Mothers Kit on Sale for $12.99 the other day. The good one with a drill powered polishing ball. So, I bought one. Have not started it yet, been busy with another project. My lights are not bad yet, just a little fade so will touch up, but my wife's VW lenses are getting bad.

I just checked, and it's still on sale. Just click the save now link below the price.
Hi SS, that's a very good price. I bought two 3M kits off of Ebay in the UK some time ago and have only just got around to doing the lights, I think I paid £19.50 each for them .............that's $31.............the problem is delivery from the UK as well, they charge far too much. In France it's very difficult to find good auto DIY parts unless they are Renault, Citroen or Peugeot etc as the French go to a garage and pay exorbitant prices because they don't do these type of jobs or haven't got the knowledge or can't be bothered..............between eating......not that they can really afford to pay garages it's that they just accept it as their way of life and most garages are awful and have no knowledge of foreign cars.

France is very expensive for anything automotive including many everyday goods which we take for granted they see them as 'luxuries', like toilets

Dusty was right, it's still very 'third world' in many parts over here.

That's what I like about the US, you can live in the rural country and still get everything you need either online or in towns and at reasonable prices and not being ripped off.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:04 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

"(Any reason I should make an immediate effort to replace the other front o2 sensor?)"

I've seen it recommended that you replace the O2 sensors in pairs- front / rear. not sure why though.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

pretty sure that recommendation is to do them in pairs. i just did all 4.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:07 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Disco isn't out of the shop til, Wednesday but got my new black 16s, td5 thermostat, and wadding kit in from Rovers North. Chopping and the bit to start back tinkering!!

Old 04-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by OffroadFrance
That's what I like about the US, you can live in the rural country and still get everything you need either online or in towns and at reasonable prices and not being ripped off.
Yes, there are some nice perks living in the US. Some we definitely take for granted.

I was at Home Depot the other day and I saw this woman that looked very stressed. I asked if I could help her figure something out. She said she was having a really hard time deciding between the Chrome or Gold fixtures in her new bathroom.

I don't know why, but it hit me really hard. I was suddenly ashamed that we as Americans are stressing about what COLOR our faucet will be. The faucet that delivers not only Clean Drinkable water, but HOT water, right to our bathrooms. This, while many countries are struggling to get a bucket of cold dirty water back to their huts or sheds.

I'm not saying I'm ashamed to be American, but it's sad other countries are having it so hard.

After that, I went and picked out the coolest looking, most unnecessary, tires for my Land Rover. That made me feel better...

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?