Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,239 Posts

I sat and cussed the fan clutch some more. Need to order that pulley holder tool.....

Old 12-16-2014, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

hehehehe. sorry. if you have some steel (1.5 - 2"....doesn't have to be thick) laying around....its just 3 holes drilled for little bolt heads and a notch. I made one a long time ago out of 3/16 thick 2"x 12-16" piece. just notched for shaft, put a paint blob on the 3 little bolt heads, pressed the piece to it, drilled out the transferred paint marks and it fit fine.

Old 12-16-2014, 07:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

*Finally* finished my valve cover gasket job and have it back in my own driveway. No more coolant leaking from the back of the engine because the seal on the heater pipe to manifold is the wrong size causing coolant to pool on the manifold and then run to the back of the engine. $1.50 from the usual suppliers (plus freight) but I remembered Carquest can order from WorldPac overnight and no freight, so I ended up paying $3.12 for the seal. Topped off the coolant and verified no major leaks, then finally replaced the alternator, managing to break the smaller wire from the mounting nut because everything is hard as a rock from engine heat. Solder a longer wire to the captured nut, and the other end to the short section from the harness. Don't worry about heating the heat shrink because I know the engine heat will take care of that.
The heated seats have never felt so good as I was frozen to the core.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:53 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZGPhoto
Marty powell sells diffs for $70 shipped FYI

And since your cross pin decided to shoot out of the axle housing, like mine did, you'll just have to weld it up.

ichopimports@yahoo.com
$70 is cheap, I'll keep that tucked away for future reference, thanks. I changed out the front today, the rear was too warped, the fill plug wouldn't seat properly anymore so I decided just to replace the whole axle assembly. I figure I'll atleast have the added bonus of a spare set of axles and hubs.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

I figured out why you don't buy a linexed bumper from some dude on the forums.
Even though it was sold as a cheaply priced Greg Davis rear bumper that had been fitted to his D2 and welded up and linexed.
It was really three pieces of metal that were welded together. They were line x coated but that was pointless. The very smart person had them welded up without ever fitting them to any vehicle whatsoever. It look like a curb feeler at the top part of my tires. It's stuck out on either side of the body at about 6 to 8 inches.

What I actually did was waste $600 on a piece of thin wall rectangular tubing with a receiver hitch and a plate attached to it. The rest had to go in the trash and by the time I was finished welding on new pieces all the Line x melted off.

Jokes on me!!!!! Thanks for full disclosure, Buddy!!!!

Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your DII today?-image.jpg  
Old 12-16-2014, 11:16 PM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

i busted a nut or sockets... i mean 6 sockets trying to remove the last head bolt.

Old 12-17-2014, 08:22 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
I figured out why you don't buy a linexed bumper from some dude on the forums.
Even though it was sold as a cheaply priced Greg Davis rear bumper that had been fitted to his D2 and welded up and linexed.
It was really three pieces of metal that were welded together. They were line x coated but that was pointless. The very smart person had them welded up without ever fitting them to any vehicle whatsoever. It look like a curb feeler at the top part of my tires. It's stuck out on either side of the body at about 6 to 8 inches.

What I actually did was waste $600 on a piece of thin wall rectangular tubing with a receiver hitch and a plate attached to it. The rest had to go in the trash and by the time I was finished welding on new pieces all the Line x melted off.

Jokes on me!!!!! Thanks for full disclosure, Buddy!!!!
How is $600 an inexpensive GD bumper!?! He sells them direct for like $500

Old 12-17-2014, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

with shipping from nyc and line x, ready to bolt on. the line x was the reason I wanted it
more like$560 .....I rounded up because I am being a sore loser

Last edited by dusty1; 12-17-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-17-2014, 09:35 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Damn, sorry man! That sucks

Old 12-17-2014, 09:50 AM
Super Moderator

thanks. it happens, when you buy stuff from unknown sources. always a gamble. and if anyone is curious that line x junk burns really easily...stinky, black smoking, probably toxic, melting plastic junk. and once the metal is heated it has no more adhesion afterwords....actually pretty easily removed if you get it hot with a little propane torch first. I guess I paid for a learning experience

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?