Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 12:16 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Installed my off road lights!

Attached Thumbnails What did you do with your DII today?-img_20150310_120953830.jpg   What did you do with your DII today?-img_20150310_121014398.jpg  
Old 03-12-2015, 07:15 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Snorkle question

Originally Posted by divkat
Have done several things over the past couple of weeks.

Replaced the oil pan gasket, timing chain cover gasket, water pump gasket, timing chain and all gears, oil pump gasket and gears.

Added a snorkel which right now is only providing better air intake but will eventually be fully functional.
Attachment 24868

Added a 20in LED light bar to the brush guard.
Attachment 24873

And made some mounts for lights up near my front windshield. (design courtesy of a good Disco friend)
Attachment 24872
Attachment 24871
Attachment 24870
Attachment 24869
What brand of snorkle do you have and where can I find it? I like that it dips into the fender near the door rather than running the length of the fender. Looks sharp!

Old 03-12-2015, 04:56 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a week after I bought my 2004 a creek overflowed it's banks onto a local road and just "had" to go through. Only a foot of water or so but still fun!

Old 03-13-2015, 06:05 AM
Overlanding

Installed my new front driveshaft. This solved the rumble under power and squeeking issues. This forum has saved me alot of guesswork when troubleshooting problems. Thanks!
Also installed some 2 inch spring spacers under the TerraFirma springs. I am getting ready for the new, larger tires. I may attack the xyz switch this weekend, I am getting p0705 code periodically.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:13 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Stuck rear caliper.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:08 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ckadventure
What brand of snorkle do you have and where can I find it? I like that it dips into the fender near the door rather than running the length of the fender. Looks sharp!
It's a custom made HRC snorkel. A good friend of mine makes them and sells them for about $300 which includes everything you need and if you local to eastern NC he will install it for you. By the way is it for a D1 or D2?

Old 03-13-2015, 12:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

The Mantec snorkel for the D2 is also low profile and does not run alogn the outer body of the fender.
Lucky8 sells them.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:24 AM
Mudding
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Thumbs down F'ed and Furious 2

Just about lit it on fire. On purpose.

It's been out of commission for about a week while I amass the parts (and time) to replace the camshaft bearings. Managed to remove the oil pan, radiator, fan, water pump, alternator, a/c compressor, p/s pump and upper intake, and just generally made a huge mess.

Somewhere in the midst of my work, I closed up the garage and took a break to go in and grab a snack. Thanks to Denver's unofficial "if something is unattended the alley, it's fair game" policy, I came back out to see that my two-year-old radiator I had forgotten was left leaning up against the garage draining is now someone else's. Of course, no shop in town can get one until late next week and it's going to cost me $300. So I'm on the hunt for a better deal.

So I take a deep breath, and move on to get my crankshaft pulley off. BOTH of my Optima yellow tops are dead. 8 volts. I'm not sure if leaving the hood open keeps a circuit closed or what, but I looked over at the box containing the Cole Hersee battery isolator that is going in this week and just about lost my $#!+.

My rationale of doing the work myself to save a bunch of money is losing traction as I potentially have cost myself about $800 in mistakes... so far. Let's just hope today goes better and that I can resurrect those deep cycles.

Old 03-14-2015, 10:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by G150driver
Just about lit it on fire. On purpose.

It's been out of commission for about a week while I amass the parts (and time) to replace the camshaft bearings. Managed to remove the oil pan, radiator, fan, water pump, alternator, a/c compressor, p/s pump and upper intake, and just generally made a huge mess.

Somewhere in the midst of my work, I closed up the garage and took a break to go in and grab a snack. Thanks to Denver's unofficial "if something is unattended the alley, it's fair game" policy, I came back out to see that my two-year-old radiator I had forgotten was left leaning up against the garage draining is now someone else's. Of course, no shop in town can get one until late next week and it's going to cost me $300. So I'm on the hunt for a better deal.

So I take a deep breath, and move on to get my crankshaft pulley off. BOTH of my Optima yellow tops are dead. 8 volts. I'm not sure if leaving the hood open keeps a circuit closed or what, but I looked over at the box containing the Cole Hersee battery isolator that is going in this week and just about lost my $#!+.

My rationale of doing the work myself to save a bunch of money is losing traction as I potentially have cost myself about $800 in mistakes... so far. Let's just hope today goes better and that I can resurrect those deep cycles.
I am well acquainted with this feeling
Tomorrow is another day!

Old 03-16-2015, 02:13 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brakes and Bearings

Started what should have been an easy project - replace the front wheel bearings (one bad for sure) and do new rotors, pads and fluid on all 4 wheels.

Easy, for anything other than an old Disco2 driven in the Northeast for all of its "life."

The bearing removal and replacement did not give me too much trouble.

However, I ended up with two stuck caliper guide pins on the front - one on each brake bracket. And no amount of heat or PB Blaster freed one of them. The other finally succumbed to a full size pipe wrench and heat.

I ordered new pins all the way around and drilled out the stuck pin on the press. So maybe in a few days the Disco will be mobile again...

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?