Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 03:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removed Valve Covers . . .

. . . on my way down to head gaskets and this is what I found:

passenger side

left valve cover

coolant puddle in area beneath ignition coils

Coolant under compressor

Apart from the appalling varnish and gunk build up, I wasn't expecting to find a large pool of coolant directly under the ignition coils. (yes, that's Dexcool). Could that be caused by the heater hoses? There was also coolant under the compressor. I had observed coolant dripping at the back of the engine but expected the cause to be a head gasket or the valley gasket. The throttle heater plate and the plastic T in the upper radiator hose are both leaking again, but not enough to account for volume of coolant I am losing. FYI along with my coolant leak, I have an intermittent misfire but no fault codes. Expansion tank pressurizes. No coolant in the oil.

I saw the impressive engine photos posted by LR03NJ--what do I use to clean rockers and lower intake manifold? I used Throttle Body/Intake cleaner on the upper manifold.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:53 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,187 Likes on 849 Posts
Default Went north for a few days with the rover...Grayling, Michigan.

Sorry, no pictures (forgot the tablet at the cabin each of the three days...so, at least I'm consistent...lol). Anyhow, it finally rained (in biblical proportions) from Sunday evening until Wednesday afternoon. M/T tires finally found what they were looking for...mud. Also found some awesome trails, with plenty of elevation changes and tight situations.

The Discovery handled everything that got thrown in its direction, never once getting stuck. So, maybe I didn't try hard enough...sure would have liked to try the winch. My buddy was impressed with the rovers traction and question my sanity a couple times...especially, when I didn't even hesitate "in the least" at any obstacle.

Also, found a primitive state campground close by...so camping next time around is in order. Maybe next time, a get together with some other rover owners would be nice...since I know the area a bit better now.

Brian.

Last edited by The Deputy; 10-27-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

I duct taped a vacuum cleaner hose to my exhaust and turned it on to find an exhaust leak that I smelled.

The leak is coming from the gasket that is supposed to seal the downpipe of the passenger side cat to the exhaust manifold.

I've ordered a new gasket, but where do I find new bolts for it (one bolt is entirely missing!)?

Thanks for any help.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:16 AM
TReK
Received 768 Likes on 636 Posts

Any local exhaust place should be able to help you. Guys near me gave me a bolt for free and I had never been in there before.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:54 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought a Disco about 2 weeks ago, drove it 1100 miles home no problem.

Go to change the oil and what do I see... ah yes the infamous Grease Monkey double gasket. Wish I took pictures lol, got some acetone and scotchbrite to get all the rubber off the housing, put in a fresh oil filter and things are running smooth.

Go to put in some BG MOA the other day and broke a piece off the oil filler neck... AWESOME. Gonna be putting a new one in today plus doing some windshield wiper mods so I can use normal wipers like a normal person.

Also - anyone know what this thing is called? The manual says it's just a "seat latch" (REPAIRS 76-5-27) and I can't find it online for the life of me.

Name:  7yS6MMf.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  55.8 KB

I broke it on the journey home at 2am after yelling and cursing for 10 min because the rear seat wouldn't go down, had to sleep with only the driver side rear seat down lol, but it wasn't too bad until the cold came in. Damn sleeping bag is rated for 20 degrees but I call BS.
Anyways, guess I'll just have to wait until a DII gets parted out near me.

Pic of Landy below

Name:  da2f42v.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  290.6 KB

Name:  be1lQe1.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  827.9 KB

Last edited by rustykoala; 10-29-2017 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:22 AM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

It looks like the rear seat release here > Allbrit.de - Ersatzteile für LAND ROVER & MG ROVER

Unless you find a used one, I bet you might be ordering this from across The Pond. But at least you now have some part #s. Good Luck!

BONUS>>> It looks like Paul Grant has a used one > https://www.ebay.com/itm/Land-Rover-Discovery-Series-2-Rear-Seat-Fold-and-Release-Mechanism-Black-2003-04/202055344759?hash=item2f0b6fe277:g:7bwAAOSw1G1ZuoZ R&vxp=mtr

Last edited by OverRover; 10-29-2017 at 09:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rustykoala (10-29-2017)
Old 10-29-2017, 09:32 AM
4wd Low

Part #'s really help! Thank you so much.

Found one on eBay

Old 10-29-2017, 09:37 AM
TReK
Received 653 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by rustykoala
Part #'s really help! Thank you so much.

Found one on eBay

If you looked at the ebay link I posted and that's the one/color you need, then you can feel real confident buying a used part from
Paul Grant.

I just posted this before I read your PM. I think I need some sleep.

Last edited by OverRover; 10-29-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:52 AM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by OverRover
If you looked at the ebay link I posted and that's the one/color you need, then you can feel real confident buying a used part from
Paul Grant.

I just posted this before I read your PM. I think I need some sleep.
Go to sleep!! Only on this forum can I ask a question and buy the exact part for a reasonable price on eBay 5 min later

Thank you thank you

Old 10-29-2017, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

I removed my old windshield cowl on my 02 Kalahari (or should I say I removed some pieces....) Installed the mint condition cowl I grabbed at a junk yard a month ago for 20.00!

I also worked on an 03 D2 and fixed the rear door latch, passenger seat wiring, dash tray inserts (good old zip tie fix), and a few other misc things. It needs the RF Passenger door fixed. The lock is broken and stuck in superlock mode.... Still haven't figured out my plan of attack on that issue yet.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?