Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 09:50 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Converted it to a P38 steering box.

Old 12-29-2016, 11:32 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Chipping away at my engine install. Managed to get the 4 flex plate bolts torqued down (have to use passenger side access hole, driver side is no good)

And I also got the 2 bellhousing bolts @ 2 and 10 oclock torqued down. Hardest ones first I guess. 3 wobble extensions, 4 regular extensions, a u-joint, and a 13mm swivel socket. Didn't even bother using a torque wrench.

6 painful bolts for half a days work.

Old 12-30-2016, 10:54 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
3 wobble extensions, 4 regular extensions, a u-joint, and a 13mm swivel socket.
I always laugh when I put something like that together. It's like some crazy Dr. Suess contraption!

Old 12-30-2016, 01:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 183 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
I always laugh when I put something like that together. It's like some crazy Dr. Suess contraption!
i would be laughing too, if it was someone else that had to get down there and torque them in =P

odyssey batteries arrived today. $390 shipped from 4wd.com with promo code. Wait till you see the electrical project I have planned...

Old 12-30-2016, 01:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Blake
odyssey batteries arrived today.
I love these batteries, ran them in various vehicles and never had an issue.

Old 12-30-2016, 03:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by T-rex
I learned just how far I can get on a tank of gas on a trip across Wyoming. Turns out it was 5 miles shorter than I thought.

Filled up in Cheyenne and ran out 5 miles short of Rock Springs. $240 for 5 gallons delivered.

Next project is an extra gas can mounted on the rack.
After 4 years of building my D2, I'm rethinking a lot of my original decisions due to the problem outlined above.
The stock D1 I just rescued and drove back from MT is getting over 19mpg on longer runs which means I have more than 350 miles of fuel range. It's making a big difference and with less crap on the roof, the car handles better too.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
After 4 years of building my D2, I'm rethinking a lot of my original decisions due to the problem outlined above.
The stock D1 I just rescued and drove back from MT is getting over 19mpg on longer runs which means I have more than 350 miles of fuel range. It's making a big difference and with less crap on the roof, the car handles better too.
I'm glad you mentioned this.
I remember getting 18-20 mpg in my '98 Disco 1 SE-7 S-Reg in England. With my Disco 2 here in the states, I'm lucky to get almost 12 mpg. Bloody hell!

Old 12-30-2016, 08:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Road Trip with a cool find.

So drove up to Norfolk today to help my cousin who just moved here from Germany pickup his E30 wagon he brought over. So we pull into the vpc and this is sitting right in front of the gate.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:42 PM
Mudding
Received 159 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
Quick follow up on this - Drove back home today with the wind at my back. There were warnings of 50 to 60 mile an hour gusts for about 100 miles of the trip.

Filled up this time in Rawlings and made it home to Littleton (254 miles) with about a third of the tank remaining.

The trip out where I ran out of gas was Cheyenne to Rock Springs (258 miles) the wind was probably about 35 or 40 mile an hour gusts.

Wind is a huge factor in traveling I-80 in Wyoming.

I think the sweet spot for gas milage must be around 50 miles an hour. I've been on a few trips taking the back roads at 50 mph and the fuel gauge is very slow to drop - get on the interstate and just watch that thing move like the second hand of a clock.

This trip was about 2,000 miles in weather from snowing and -10 in Utah and Idaho and back to a nice 60 degrees here in Denver. The truck never missed a beat. I've been super impressed with the reliability after hearing so much to the contrary before buying one. OK, so I did have to do the heads shortly after purchase

Lots of jeeps on the road - Saw a Disco in Rexburg Idaho and a couple in Logan Utah.

Old 12-31-2016, 05:15 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,167 Likes on 842 Posts
Default Drove the 01 to the restaurant...

My wife and I went to breakfast the other day, drove the 01.

Place is pretty busy and all, but there are three young gals behind the counter when I walk up to pay the bill. I'm looking down, filling out the tip and signing the receipt...when one of the girls asks if that is my Land Rover outside?

Without even looking up...I replied, "Why, is it on fire?"

They were like?..."Why would you say that".

Embellishing on their need to know more, I added, "After owning it for a month now, wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was."

The part that got me...out of all of the folks in that place...why did they think I owned the LR?...unless I "do" look like an idiot...which I never thought I did...until now. Thanks gals...lol.

Brian.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?