Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 06:22 PM
Mudding
Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Just washed andnput fresh wiper blades on lol..

Old 09-23-2018, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Ordered some TF Extended +50mm SS Brake Lines, received some Britpart Extended +40mm SS Brake Lines. Not a big deal, but I think Lucky8 needs to correct their parts list to reflect Britpart vs TF as it's kinda misleading.

Had some spare time this weekend so I installed them. Install wasn't bad, but those metal clips can be a PITA. I'd always noticed my RR OEM line always seemed to have less slack vs the LR. Well upon closer inspection the line wasn't installed properly at the caliper so it was technically about an inch shorter. I also had my LR ABS wiring connector completely crumble to pieces. When I start my vacation on the 1st of October I'll just install some new front ABS sensors in the rear to eliminate any issues with them being extended to far. Then I'll be all set for the LR event on the 5th thru the 7th at Hidden Falls.

Bled the system with just my little switch box routed directly to the ABS Relay, (I have the Nanocom Evo, but I find my little box with a switch to be super simple) and I have a really nice feeling pedal. It was also time to flush the brake fluid so win win.

Overall not a bad project, but it does get messy even if you're being careful. The AB Video shows them routing the lines at the caliper pointing towards the rear vs pointed up (like the OEM setup) and I personally think that is wrong. You are installing "extended" brake lines and having them point to the rear takes a good 1inch out of the length. I routed them in same orientation as the OEM config.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:05 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Cleaned the inside and as much of the outside of my oil pan and front cover as I could. Cleaned the gasket surfaces of the front cover and the block. Still have to get the old front seal out and new one in. Waiting to get a new water pump gasket tomorrow, then I'll start putting her back together

Old 09-23-2018, 08:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 617 Posts

An '04 SE7 showed up at the local LKQ three days ago and I decided to go check it out. It looked really nice in the few pics LKQ posted, but by time I got to it, supposedly the day after it went on the yard, it was already noticeably picked over plus it had some body damage. The front bumper finishers and the rear bumper and lights were gone, plus the grill. Same for the jack and even the steering wheel!. Not that I wanted any of those things, but it was interesting to see what was gone so quickly. All four 18" tires and wheels were still there, but not in good enough shape to interest me, plus they were 18s. All the seats were in great shape but are more than I want to get into shipping.

I didn't need it badly, but I got the PRNDL321 shifter bezel. The one in my truck is pretty loose from being taken out several times, plus some of the channeling underneath was broken. The keyless remote was on the seat so I got that. The shell was not usable but replacement shells and key blanks are easy to find and inexpensive. (Now to find someone reasonably close by with a Nanocom!) I also got the t-case shifter, but that's for resale because I've had one in my truck for nearly seven years.

One thing I might go back to get for resale is the black console. It was in excellent condition, including the four tabs onto which the window/heated seat switches mount. (Scarce as hens' teeth.) It also has both cupholders and inserts. I just don't know where I'd put my hands on a box big enough to ship it in. Maybe I'll get the alternator and the XYZ switch too, as spares.

Last edited by mln01; 09-23-2018 at 09:34 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah I come across that pretty often with LKQ. I'm not sure if someone gets first dibs on parts before it hits the yard or what, but I was there the day it hit the yard most of the time the sunroofs are already ripped out (local dude apparently has a deal with LKQ). I've also seen plenty of them without their wheels/tires the day of it hitting the yard and I don't see that big of a demand for 18inch Hurricane wheels.

The sad thing is whoever the sunroof dude is if the LR has a nice interior it won't stay that way for long as he just guts the sunroofs out and it's a giant fish bowl after that.

I get deals at LKQ from time to time, but most of the time the LR's I see are just gutted beyond anything I need.

Old 09-24-2018, 06:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts

If you are talking the LKQ in central tx, that truck showed up there almost a month ago.

Also, I know who that local guy is. Not that it matters

Old 09-24-2018, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Houston area LKQ’s, the sunroof dude I met once while he ripped them out. He owns a shop that does tint/alarm/custom work on pickup trucks. He installs the sunroofs into single cab chevy trucks. I guess he worked out a deal to grab em first lol.

Old 09-24-2018, 02:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Paid $72.38 for two little SAI pipe fittings.. they are about 2 inches of threaded metal.. borderline retarded but that is Land Rover
The only good thing about it is I could have spent upwards of $150 plus shipping for the exact same part from Rovers North or British Parts of Utah.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:39 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Today was the first dry day in Houston for awhile and lower temperatures so I decided to start reassembling the interior of my '03 Disco. I had a really bad windshield replacement about 3 years ago and I was getting water leaking in since then and couldn't seem to find the spot. No sunroof for those that would suggest checking the drain lines, I have the solid roof. Over time it seemed to get worse, the slightest rain and the carpets were wet. Sometimes driving in the rain and the water would spray up at me from just above the dash at the instrument cluster.

Last year I was in Alaska when Hurricane Harvey dropped 50 inches of rain on us, by the time I got home a few weeks later what with the heat and humidity and water soaked carpets I had a really bad mold and mildew problem. I ended up removing the seats and center console as well as the front and middle row carpets. I used a mildicide on everything to try to kill the mold spores, the interior parts ended up in my workshop which has AC for the last year so they are fine now. I finally discovered that the windshield was so poorly fitted, it had multiple gaps and wasn't even close to snug before the cement they use had hardened. I tried in vain to remove the windshield using some glazers tools but it cracked so I just knocked it out and replaced with a new one! Now it is in tight with no leaks.

So today I had to really tax my brain cells to try to reassemble in the order things were removed, after a year one kind of forgets. First the front carpets went in, then the rear. Center console was next and that took a few hours as I had to feed all the plugs through for the switches for windows, seats, seat heaters, etc. Front well kick panels, door rocker panels and the door post finishers.

The vehicle finally got into full son as the shade moved away and it got too darn hot and now it's 88 degrees with no breeze so going to wait on installing seats tomorrow, attach seat belts, seat motors and that stuff.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:06 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you move to northern Arizona, you won't have that issue.

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?