Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 02:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts
Default Something l did today without my rover...

Drove by a gas station on the fourth day of driving to work. The Silverado will go six days.

Brian.

Old 04-25-2019, 04:35 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by No Doubt
You probably know this, but always keep the cam and lifters the same age. New cam and new lifters or old cam and old lifters, never mix old cam with new lifters or new cam with old lifters due to wear characteristics.
yeah I havent mentioned it but im doing the timing chain and sprocket, rear main and front cover as well. I have always believed, If you have it torn down this far, do it all! no point going in twice. I might actually have the cam reground, We have a shop here that does nothing but boring, planing etc. Couple of old guys that really know their sh*&. we use them to plane our heads and blocks all the time.

The following users liked this post:
No Doubt (04-25-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 11:46 PM
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default headlight adjustment

While trying to readjust the headlights on my '01 D2, I noticed that one of those plastic headlight support brackets that hold the adjustment screws snapped. Bought 2 from Atlantic British (sensible to have a extra one just in case). About $4 each. Now I can finish the simple job.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Removed DS engine mount. Well, OK, I did not have the strength to pull up on the 18mm wrench I modified, so my husband had to do it when he came home. We have the engine lifted up by a 2 tom HF crane. When he tried to pull up on the wrench to break the nut loose, he lifted the engine instead. He finally broke the nut loose. The engine mount was completely broken, the lower part was removed. As he worked to loosen the upper part, the little locator pin (that also kept that part from spinning) came out of the hole as the nut became loose. Now, he had to use 2 hands, one to hold the remaining plate in the locating hole to prevent it from spinning, while using a 18mm ratcheting end wrench to continue to loosen the nut (blind and by feel, of course). Meanwhile, I had to leave to get groceries :-). I came back and it was done. But, so is my Land Rover Discovery 2 ownership. I bought Nigel 15 years ago, Winston 1 year ago. I realize now how difficult newer cars are to work on. They lower the body onto the chassis, making repairs a nightmare. We have decided that at 60 years we are too old to be messing with this. Looks like I will be selling my D2's and investing my time and money in the 68 Bronco and 85 Scrambler. At least we can work on those easily, and they are not OBDII. Gonna miss my D2's - just loved them.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:46 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 294 Likes on 183 Posts

I’m sorry to hear that Lisa 😔.
ive had numerous old broncos and jeeps, love them too. The discoveries are better drivers by far in my opinion but an old bronc and scrambler are pretty cool too.
If you can post up some pics.

Lisa Bunch (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 11:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,278 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by Lisa Bunch
Removed DS engine mount. Well, OK, I did not have the strength to pull up on the 18mm wrench I modified, so my husband had to do it when he came home. We have the engine lifted up by a 2 tom HF crane. When he tried to pull up on the wrench to break the nut loose, he lifted the engine instead. He finally broke the nut loose. The engine mount was completely broken, the lower part was removed. As he worked to loosen the upper part, the little locator pin (that also kept that part from spinning) came out of the hole as the nut became loose. Now, he had to use 2 hands, one to hold the remaining plate in the locating hole to prevent it from spinning, while using a 18mm ratcheting end wrench to continue to loosen the nut (blind and by feel, of course). Meanwhile, I had to leave to get groceries :-). I came back and it was done. But, so is my Land Rover Discovery 2 ownership. I bought Nigel 15 years ago, Winston 1 year ago. I realize now how difficult newer cars are to work on. They lower the body onto the chassis, making repairs a nightmare. We have decided that at 60 years we are too old to be messing with this. Looks like I will be selling my D2's and investing my time and money in the 68 Bronco and 85 Scrambler. At least we can work on those easily, and they are not OBDII. Gonna miss my D2's - just loved them.
Can totally relate (59). Spent the last few months "trying" to build my 03. But after one head slap/frustrating time after another...I pulled the plug. Thought to myself...do I really need this in my life? I've somewhat decided to give it one more go...on our white 04...but if anything fights me...it will be short lived and moved on down the road. I'll just go back to tinkering with my cars.

Brian.

Lisa Bunch (05-03-2019)
Old 05-03-2019, 11:59 AM
Winching
Received 133 Likes on 78 Posts

Today I turned my disco into my daily driver, not intentionally. I’m a student at Iup in Pennsylvania and some kid went mental and kicked off a bunch of people’s mirrors then grabbed a brick and bashed my windows and trunk and fenders on my daily

Old 05-03-2019, 12:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,178 Likes on 815 Posts

Man Escott that is brutal

Lisa & Brian 61 here still enjoy the wrenching but some days it gets wearying

Old 05-03-2019, 01:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Sorry escott16, I didn't even see a Trump 2020 sticker....it's all a part of the "If I can't have it neither can you" mentality.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:11 PM
TReK
Received 787 Likes on 654 Posts

i'm guessing someone didn't do well on their final exams

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?