Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 10:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 818 Likes on 537 Posts

Originally Posted by galchutt81
Remind me are there o rings in the end?
Not sure, have not pulled the lines yet.

Old 05-27-2020, 01:18 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

Checked oil pressure looks pretty solid, post here with deals https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...51/#post731043

Old 05-27-2020, 09:54 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 years after being told that I needed to replace my watts linkage, I finally did it! It only took 5 days and a nut splitter to get it all done, although one day was for paint to dry and another day was a trip up to Rovers North because I ordered the wrong bushings to begin with.
I thought it would make a bigger difference, but it just smoothed out some vibrations and made bumps much quieter.
Next up are sway bar links and bushings, then springs and shocks.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:08 AM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I completed the swap of my anti roll bar sway links to the Lucky8 disconnectable sway bars, Terrafirma draglink/track rods from the factory equipment,OME steering damper, learned how to grease the LR "Ball Joints" ie tie rods, made a mess after opening the grease gun under pressure, put the wheels back on to their proper torque settings for the first time, and took her off the jack stands. I proceeded to start er up and back out of the driveway only to find that I goofed something up and the steering wheel is cocked to the left. After being stupid and stubborn I was able to finally burn/push out the new red bushings on the Terrafirma pandhard rods and replaced them with the orange polybush bushings. My fiance informed me that I was an idiot for wanting consistent color/stiffness in my suspension/steering, and after struggling with the whole thing only to question the sizing of the Polybush panhard bushing compatibility with the TerraFirma Heavy Duty 03-04 panhard rod. Slight chance here, but does anyone know if one was to push out the panhard bushings on the Terrafirma panhard rod for an 03'-04 was I suppose to hacksaw the metal bushing retaining ring? If so great, I already have the new ones pressed so that will be a treat to assess the risk of installation.... My plan is to install the panhard in the morning and take it immediately to get aligned.

Either way, another successful round of Disco work. I learned a lot, put my hands to work, and as always enjoyed fixing stuff before it breaks and after it breaks.

Old 05-28-2020, 12:41 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 851 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by Green Blaze
Next up are sway bar links...
Go Meyle HD for sway bar links.
For better articulation (next to having removable sway bar links) some of the Brits with lifted Disco 2s install the slightly longer LR3/Disco 3 front sway bar links on the front and the Disco 2’s slightly longer fronts links are installed to the rear.

The following 2 users liked this post by JUKE179r:
Richard Gallant (05-28-2020), whowa004 (05-29-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 02:46 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Having a good time crawling around under the Rover, playing mechanic. Finished fixing a rear output shaft leak today. A job which should have taken hours ended up taking days. Originally ordered just the seal. Got to the seal and noticed the flange was done. A nice big groove most likely explains why my leak got so big! Ordered the repair kit on Saturday and received it last night. And since I had the rear taken apart, i also put on a new rotoflex as a preventative measure. I'll carry the old donut and bolts as a spare if ever needed! Fingers crossed that the leak is gone for at least another 50k miles

Old 05-28-2020, 05:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 138 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by boston4
Replaced my rusted AC pipe and have working AC now (assuming it didn’t all leak out overnight - knock on wood).

Speaking of rusted AC components, my condenser fan is completely seized, as are the bolts that attach it. I know the rusted fan is pretty common, but not sure about rusted fasteners. What do people usually do in this situation? Cut out the plastic shroud?

My truck is running pretty cool (188 on highways, up to maybe 194 in traffic) as I have a new thermostat, Dorman HD fan, and severe duty fan clutch. Does that little electric condenser fan really move all that much air? For now I’ll just keep an eye on coolant temps in traffic and cut out the AC as necessary but I’m guessing I should aim to address it if only to improve AC performance.

Any thoughts?
Today marks a few days since I've last driven the Rover and I'm INCREDIBLY pleased so say that my AC refrigerant has NOT leaked out and it still works! I was originally sold the truck and told that there was a condenser leak. During my testing, I found the leak to be in the line that runs from the joint on the drivers side to the receiver/dryer - I replaced this, and it held vacuum without a problem, but I was still suspicious that it might not hold pressure for a few days. Great amazing news.

Regarding my seized condenser fan, I'm cautiously optimistic that I can just leave it broken. I drove around town for a while in 80 degree weather with my AC on, and the temps are actually completely normal - 188-190 while driving around town, bumping up to about 194 at red lights. It does sound like the Hayden severe duty fan clutch is making more noise and pulling more air than normal, but that's kind of the point of the fan clutch - it's keeping the temps right where I want them.

Wow I'm thrilled.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (05-29-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 05:18 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

Worked on my rear shelf. Been dragging my *** on it. Just have one divider to add, then gonna bedline it and put foam on the drivers side as that will hold 2 of my fishing poles.

The following 2 users liked this post by The_OGCJR:
Richard Gallant (05-29-2020), whowa004 (06-02-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 05:36 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,177 Likes on 814 Posts

Had an O Crap moment, flashing M & S, E-brake ABS and Hill Descent lights on start. Shut down M&S go away the rest stay.

Pull out the Foxwell - Right rear ABS Valve open error
Clear codes restart they are still there
Short drive still there
Run the ABS pump test lights instantly go out and stayed out
Did a run test hill descent, hard brake etc all is good

Discovered my fan clutch is dying it does not really lockup right even at 201. Spins the same hot or cold, at least it is cheap and easy to fix.

Old 06-01-2020, 01:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

So I got in my rover and drove it. 500..ish miles with some offroading mixed in. Easy peasy
Stopped, took a pic. Hopped back in and kept going.

The following 3 users liked this post by MrValingo:
cvhyatt (06-06-2020), Richard Gallant (06-01-2020), whowa004 (06-02-2020)

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?