Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

I believe they were the terrafirma RAID model and they're bolted on from what I can see.

The following users liked this post:
YETIX (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 05:46 PM
TReK
Received 556 Likes on 482 Posts

I’m glad you like them. I bought the same set but haven’t picked them up yet.

Old 02-25-2024, 08:51 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

Holy Christ did this previous owner love their gray rtv!! They must have used 57 tubes on this truck. Found it on upper and lower intake gaskets, valve cover gaskets, every metal coolant pipe, all around the rubber hoses for power steering, gooped between master cylinder and booster. I just realized it's also been gooped on every mating surface of the upper intake and throttle body haha. It was all over the tops of the rocker bolts.

Driver side head reinstalled, torqued finally.

I slipped my grip and damaged the passenger gasket so ordered another.

Also found I think the cause of my #4 problems. When I got it, the #4 spark plug had an antifouler on it and had evidence of oil coming out of spark plug hole. The valves had some hard core baked oil. Piston top looked ok though.
​​​​​​
In doing the stem seals I found one of them barely seated where it belonged and the other missing the tiny spring. Hoping it's just the seals and not a ring! Someone should have compression and leak downed (hah can that be a verb?) before tear down!

While waiting for the head gasket, removed, cleaned and painted my transmission pan, replaced filter. Wasn't able to find a discovery 1 pan with dip stick, so reusing pan.

My power steering has been dripping on driveway since I got it, replaced all lines, pressure and return and cooler and pump. Cleaned off caked chunks of oil from that area. Hoping the steering gear isn't leaking also, but I'll find out soon haha.

Gently flushed out heater core and radiator backwards and ran some water through engine to hopefully get rid of any remaining dex. Doesn't look like anyone tried crap in a can in cooling system, whew!

Also installed new extended braided brake hoses and pads in rear. Removed, cleaned and lubricated slide pins. Glad I did this as one of the lower ones had been sticking! Doing front next, hoses, pads, rotors, lubricate pins.

Also have been cleaning connectors, repairing loom and cleaning all the grounds on the main wiring harness while I'm waiting also.

Still to do is fuel filter, oil pump, timing chain, oil pan gasket, and install interim roof rack whole waiting for Baja rack (probably arriving in May now!). Also need to clean and paint and reinstall spare tire hanger. I also need to drain and refill front diff, transfer case, rear diff. I think that will be the last of the fluids, all others are done.
​​​​​​
For a 32in tire will flipping it be enough or do I need an adapter plate to bring it higher?

still to diag is front sun roof, rear wiper
​​​​​​

Last edited by Roont; 02-26-2024 at 08:06 AM.
Old 02-25-2024, 09:56 PM
Mudding
Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Roont
​​​​​​
For a 32in tire will flipping it be enough or do I need an adapter plate to bring it higher?
​​​​​​
I have a 285/75/16 on a flipped carrier and it fits just.
That's pretty much a 33" if I remember right.

Roont (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 09:14 AM
Mudding
Received 148 Likes on 84 Posts

Installed window vents yesterday. Another forum member installed ones from Europe which expanded to fit. These are US made and precision fit. They're very well made. No affiliation just a happy customer. LINK

The following 3 users liked this post by YETIX:
hasullivan (02-26-2024), Roont (02-26-2024), whowa004 (02-26-2024)
Old 02-26-2024, 09:47 PM
Three Wheeling

The center console plate from golden rovers came today! It's so pretty and made me realize how awful my boots are, the parking brake and transfer case shifter. More shopping I guess haha.

The replacement head gasket from my mess up won't be here til Wednesday so other than cleaning and painting and cleaning, and the giant list, thought I would replace the instrument cluster back lights.

Also did the injector o rings when I saw them in the head gasket kit. Glad I did, as the bottom ones were cracked and about to fall apart.

Realized I ordered the wrong transmission filter so that's on hold now.until the correct one comes

Cleaned off rust and painted spare tire carrier. Need to replace 2 of the snapped lug studs on the tire carrier.

Tomorrow after customer work I really need to finish brakes and get wheels back on. Need to start finishing projects!

YETIX (02-27-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 02:25 PM
Three Wheeling

Finally got new head gasket! Putting back together. Once top end is back together and sealed up, will begin cleaning front cover, replacing oil pump and timing chain. But I wanted to button one project up before starting another one.

Waiting for head gasket (I damaged a new one so had to wait for replacement)

Head on and torquing

Lower intake on, time for more torquing!

The following 2 users liked this post by Roont:
whowa004 (02-28-2024), YETIX (02-29-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 10:25 AM
Mudding
Received 148 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by YETIX
Installed window vents yesterday. Another forum member installed ones from Europe which expanded to fit. These are US made and precision fit. They're very well made. No affiliation just a happy customer. LINK

One thing I learned yesterday was that you do NOT want these in the windows while driving on the freeway. Holy hell they create a racket! No worries around town though. I'll just put them in the windows when she's going to sit for a day or two.

Old 02-29-2024, 02:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by YETIX
One thing I learned yesterday was that you do NOT want these in the windows while driving on the freeway. Holy hell they create a racket! No worries around town though. I'll just put them in the windows when she's going to sit for a day or two.
Window deflectors might mute wind noise when driving. I have them and noise is not annoying below 55 mph. That's fine for driving around town, traveling on country roads or offroading. When going on longer freeway stretches I take them off.

YETIX (03-01-2024)
Old 02-29-2024, 09:23 PM
Three Wheeling

Top end mostly finished, started on oil pump and timing chain.

I literally have a brake pad box full of sludge scraped from bottom of oil pan. A preliminary dig through I do not see metal shavings. There was not any sludge under valve cover, so I don't think it was too badly neglected.

Soaking front cover in degreaser tonight. I know I ordered the timing chain but can't find it.

Removed tie rod from LF knuckle to get oil pan all the way out, saw that suggestion from someone on here, as sure enough, my cross member bolts were stripped.
​​​​​​in that same thread someone mentioned the crucifix seal, so ordered that as well.

Tomorrow hopefully get front cover back on if I can find timing chain. I feel like I add more things to my ADHD prevention to do list the more I check them off haha.
​​​​​​

Tried painting this just black but a daughter got to it with glitter haha.

Not too bad?

Need to tighten accel and cruise cables?

Feels good to get down in there to seal up what was another big oil leak!

In that lowest drop down section there's like a quarter inch deep sludge!

My list

The following 2 users liked this post by Roont:
whowa004 (03-01-2024), YETIX (03-01-2024)

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?