Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do with your DII today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2024, 01:02 PM
Mudding
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Default GM Power Steering Pump Conversion

Wow, Its been a long time since I've been here. I have a lot of info to share regarding my D2.

Anyway, I saw some old posts about converting to the GM Type2 HP pump. ( I'm running 35's) One of Disco Mikes old posts says he had a hookup on this kit. I saw the posts about doing the electric one. Has anyone done the GM conversion?

If the GM conversion is not available I would consider doing the electric version. I think FTL may have done it.
I also saw replies from CAPTAINAARON, EXTINCT, & BEST4X4
I definitely want to do this. The Rover pumps just suck. I've gone thru 3 of them.

Old 06-17-2024, 08:24 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,457 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Bignacio
Wow, Its been a long time since I've been here. I have a lot of info to share regarding my D2.

Anyway, I saw some old posts about converting to the GM Type2 HP pump. ( I'm running 35's) One of Disco Mikes old posts says he had a hookup on this kit. I saw the posts about doing the electric one. Has anyone done the GM conversion?

If the GM conversion is not available I would consider doing the electric version. I think FTL may have done it.
I also saw replies from CAPTAINAARON, EXTINCT, & BEST4X4
I definitely want to do this. The Rover pumps just suck. I've gone thru 3 of them.
The GM pump conversion is not really feasible on a D2, I looked at it pretty hard. It basically will not fit in the stock bracket. You could do it with a new bracket of course but probably not worth the effort.

Old 06-17-2024, 10:51 AM
Mudding

Thanks for the reply Extinct. If its just a bracket issue I'd be willing to pay someone to fabricate one.
So, what about the other alternative of using a jeep or charger pump doing it the electric way with some kind of controller, a Volvo one I think.
I ordered some stuff from your website over the weekend. Damn I just dumped a ton of more money into the D2. Ashcroft gears and HD axles, Arb lockers front & rear, new Toyo MT 35's, 2 new head lamp assemblies, GTR Ultra 2.0 Led conversion bulbs, all kinds of outside rain gutter trim, windshield intake cowl, heated seat switches, 4 ROAM cases, Roto Pax gas & water containers, a Power Tank setup with their Monster deflator valve stems, new RBC rotors and pads, 4 OEM hubs, a spare tire carrier from Hyena Overland, Johnny jointed radius arms from Adrenalin 4X4 & a bunch of small misc stuff. That REALLY hurt the wallet. lol
I'm also on the hunt for a carpet kit, Shes going in for paint at the end of the month. When will all this madness stop.

I saw an old post from Discorama saying he added 2 motors to the passenger seat for the height adjustment. I don't know if he added the lumbar. I heard that the HSE models came with this option. I'd like to have the passenger seat as adjustable and with lumbar like the driver side. Have you updated any passenger seats on any of your D2 vehicle restorations? I'd like to do this asap,

Anyway, I sure would like to do power steering swap with the electric option if possible, but would rather have a bracket made for the GM option.

Old 06-17-2024, 02:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

@Bignacio The switches and the wiring on the passenger seat for those features are all there. For the height adjustment I bought a used seat base with the motors. Replacement was fairly easy. For lumbar support you need the bag with an air pump, which I didn't install.

Old 06-17-2024, 03:18 PM
Mudding

Thanks for the quick reply Discorama. I would like the passenger seat to be identical to the drivers seat. So I need a RH seat base with 2 motors, the lumbar bag, & the air pump. I'll look for the stuff on ebay. If I remember correctly the HSE models came with everything the driver seat has in it. I'll search for the RH seat base with motors, the air pump, & lumbar bag.

I havent been around for a while. I just dumped a ton of money into the D2. Its getting painted at the end of the month. Yesterday I got my Ashcroft gears, hd axles, hubs, ebc rotors, johnny jointed front & rear radius arms from Adrenalin 4X4, & ARB lockers installed. Also bought 5 Toyo 35 in tires & a spare tire carrier from Hyena Overland. Tomorrow I'm installing brand new head light assemblies from AB with GTR Ultra 2.0 led bulbs, and a Power Tank air package. I also ordered the inline thermostat mod yesterday. I might do the pcv valve mod from BEST4X4 later tonight. The list goes on. lol I'm trying to hunt down a new carpet kit as well.

I sure would like to get the power steering pump converted to the GM Type 2 HP pump, or possibly do the electric setup with a jeep or charger setup with that volvo programable controller. Anyways I'm glad to be back around the D2 folks.

Old 06-17-2024, 04:35 PM
Mudding

I found this motor on ebay, Do I need 2 of them?
99 00 01 02 03 04 Land Rover Discovery 2 Power Seat Tilt Motor Upper Lumbar 2004

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/-nkAA...7/s-l1600.webp

Also, can I just hunt down a driver seat and use the pump and lumbar bag from it to put in the passenger seat? Thanks...

Old 06-17-2024, 05:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle

@Bignacio You can't just add the motors. It needs the mechanics for moving the seat up and down, which is missing on seat bases without height adjustment.
For the lumbar bladder and pump I would think they are identical between left and right seats.

Old 06-17-2024, 05:56 PM
Mudding

Ohhh ok, are there any part numbers for these mechanics that move the seat up and down? I could then add them to my seat base. Do you have any pics? Thanks for the info.

Old 06-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,457 Likes on 1,033 Posts

You're going to be better off buying the entire seat base with motors from one of the breakers on the west coast. Check FB marketplace. As far as the pump replacement I have the electric Volvo solution next on my kit development list but unlikely it would get finished before the end of the year. The bracket would need a lot of development work, someone would need to account for the increased width of the pump as well as the pulley backspacing - not even sure it can be done in thespace available, I dropped the project once I realized it was going to cost more than the value brought to the customer.

Old 06-18-2024, 02:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle

@Bignacio You could add the mechanics, but it is way easier to replace the seat base completely. I got mine including motors and harness for about $100 from ebay.

The following users liked this post:
YETIX (06-19-2024)

Quick Reply: What did you do with your DII today?