Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to splice in a new knock sensor connector into the harness: at 2 wire or coax?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 11:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Where to splice in a new knock sensor connector into the harness: at 2 wire or coax?

I was getting a knock sensor bank 2 code P0332.

Crawled under car and found one of the two wires right at the connector had broken.

Went to junkyard, got got lucky and found one on a donor from the same side. Cut it back about a foot into the harness, well beyond where the 2 wire changes to coax.

Being lazy, I spliced right up at the 2 wire rather than try and figure the coax splicing out. Replaced knock sensor at same time with new Bosch one.

P0322 is back, as well as a P0441 -- even though I replaced the purge valve with a new Hyundai one -- and a P0462, Fuel Level Sensor A Circuit Low (pending).

So, two questions:

1) Could all three of these codes be related/meet at some point in the harness and that's where my problem is?

2) Should I have spliced the new KS connector at the the coax and not the 2 wire point in the knock sensor wiring?

Re. the second Q, I am guessing that LR used a coax for a reason? Maybe because of signal level or noise?

Anyhow if anyone can weigh on on their experience with the knock sensor wiring and splicing (and the relationship, if any among the 2 other codes), it would be most appreciated.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:40 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I think you are right about the knock sensor, splicing can only be done effectively at the two wire... You can't splice coax and keep the shield intact. The issue is indeed low signal level vs. electrical noise in the area.

I do not know if your other issues are related but suspect they may not be. It's a Rover, entirely possible to have multiple issues at the same time.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Oh, yeah. They should have shipped every one of these with a code reader.

I used mechanical, i.e., crimp, splicers. Maybe I should have soldered even though you are likely to get some burns on your face from dripping solder?