Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 10:35 AM
AAP
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wind Noise

Probably a stupid question, but that never stopped me before:

I've got a lot of wind noise coming from my driver's side window. If I reach up and squeeze the window frame closer to the roof line just using my finger tips and thumb, the noise cuts out almost completely.

The weather seal seems to be in good shape, so I don't think that's worn out.

I want to try to bend the window frame a bit, but I'm nervous about somehow compromising the window track and/or regulator, which is already prone to breaking without me fiddling with it (I used to have a VW, so I know all about crappy window regulators ).

Am I being overly cautious?

Old 03-24-2010, 11:05 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

No I don't think your'e being too cautious...given what might happen if you start bending things. You might want to try adjusting the door latch bolt so that the door closes a little tighter and maybe that will seal it better ?

Old 03-24-2010, 01:31 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was having this same problem with my 96 Disco. I went to Wal-Mart and found some stick on weatherstripping for home doors. It is white and made by Duct Tape brand. I think it is silicone. They have several different widths and thicknesses. I bought the widest and thickest (sorry I don't remember the specs). I cleaned the door frame all around the window (not the body side, the actual door where there is no seal). I used rubbing alcohol and a white towel to clean that way I could tell when it was getting dirty and I needed to swap to a different part of the towel. I measured and cut each side (making nice 45's or other degree cuts) so that other than the color it looks original. This took care of the noise nicely. One of the longest rolls will do 3 and 1/2 doors. It runs about $10 a roll. No bending necessary and no removal of the old seal. This worked perfect for me and cut out all the wind noise. Hope this is helpful. Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
Georgia Dee (03-09-2021)
Old 03-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The seal probably appears fine, but in reality years of closing the door have left it flat. I recently replaced my passenger rear and drivers front door seal from AB and all was quiet after that. Pretty cheap, and only about 30 mins worth of work per door.

The other thing I do to used cars I buy that have framed windows is to roll the window down, and place a wood block on the fame and gently push it in to make the alignment better. It's an old trick and works great, the wood keeps any dents or paint issues away. A few gentle nudges and it's back to normal again.

Old 03-24-2010, 03:52 PM
AAP
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the comments/suggestions, guys. Much appreciated.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The window frame on a DII is bolted to the door.
I think you can loosen the bolts and adjust it.
Otherwise if replacing the weather stripping does not do the trick you can adjust the door hinges as well as the door strike.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:26 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go and get some thin rubber tubing, the squishy black stuff not the medical tubing. Get some that is about the size of a pencil. shove it between the stripping and the door frame. It normally helps push the smashed weather stripping out.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:27 AM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I was having wind issues too, make sure it isn't the rear window where it slides up and down in the felt track, mine was and I just slid it up with a needle nose. Also I put significant force into bending my door and it helped withiu hurting anything. I just sat int the seat with my knees on the door and grabbed the top of the door and bounced with it a few times. Search " it's windy in my disco" for another thread on this. (use google)