Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Issue with 2004 Discovery help Needed.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 03:01 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Issue with 2004 Discovery help Needed.

I seem to have a window issue with my Land Rover Disco 2. Recently my passanger side window motor broke the lever that pushes the window up and down. I opened the door up and changed the motor and assembly. Well about a week later my rear driver side window just stops functioning. All other windows operate ok. Now I am thinking that it could be the motor or the switch or a computer board. It could not be the circuit breaker because only one window appears to be non funtional.

Next day I go back to my LR2 and turn the ignition switch to the first ON position, i.e. without the motor running. Same situation. So I turn it off and on again and now the window starts operating normally. Then it stops operating. A few seconds later all the windows stop operating. Then a few moments later they all start operating. Well I assume this rules out a faulty switch or malfunctioning window motor.

I assume the IDM or the BCU have to be replaced. It seems that initially the motor on the passanger side broke the lever because the BCU failed to stall the window in the upright position and broke the lever arm. Can anyone advice. thank you.

Old 10-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Would think that IDM is not involved with windows, but it does control the relays that lock/unlock and superlock. BCU connects directly to window motors. Bet they are kinda pricey at a dealer, might try for a known good one from a dismantler parts guy on this site, or new one on-line. That assumes that you have removed and re-seated connectors. Also, I think when you swap one out you need to leave key on for like 5 minutes to get BCU and ECU to talk with each other.