Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wipers pausing, and not parking correctly

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 04:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts
Default Wipers pausing, and not parking correctly

I read as many old threads as I could on this and need some advice. My wipers pause three times per swipe in intermittent mode, and never park properly. First on the advice of the threads that said it was likely the park switch in the motor, I swapped the motor/transmission but there was no change. Then based on all the folks that said if it's not your motor/park switch, then it's the god-awful expensive wiper stalk itself, I pulled the wheel and swapped the switch but the wipers still stop in the exact same places on the windshield as before. Neither of these spares were "known-good" however the behavior is identical. I'm planning to swap in a known good switch out of a different truck but I have read conflicting reports about the rest of the circuit. The ETM clearly shows a relay connected to the IDM, however there's no mention of the relay anywhere else. Some have suggested that it's part of the fusebox. It seems like a stretch to swap in a fusebox to fix the intermittent wipers, however I do have a good spare. It's from an 04 however and this truck is an 02. Interestingly, this truck came with a spare fusebox that someone wrote BAD on with sharpie.

Has anyone else had this issue and had it not be the motor or the stalk? Is it just coincidental that after changing both parts the problem is exactly the same? I think if both were bad there would be some small change to the problem, such as where they pause on the windshield but maybe not.

Old 03-20-2023, 04:52 PM
Received 394 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by ahab
I read as many old threads as I could on this and need some advice. My wipers pause three times per swipe in intermittent mode, and never park properly. First on the advice of the threads that said it was likely the park switch in the motor, I swapped the motor/transmission but there was no change. Then based on all the folks that said if it's not your motor/park switch, then it's the god-awful expensive wiper stalk itself, I pulled the wheel and swapped the switch but the wipers still stop in the exact same places on the windshield as before. Neither of these spares were "known-good" however the behavior is identical. I'm planning to swap in a known good switch out of a different truck but I have read conflicting reports about the rest of the circuit. The ETM clearly shows a relay connected to the IDM, however there's no mention of the relay anywhere else. Some have suggested that it's part of the fusebox. It seems like a stretch to swap in a fusebox to fix the intermittent wipers, however I do have a good spare. It's from an 04 however and this truck is an 02. Interestingly, this truck came with a spare fusebox that someone wrote BAD on with sharpie.

Has anyone else had this issue and had it not be the motor or the stalk? Is it just coincidental that after changing both parts the problem is exactly the same? I think if both were bad there would be some small change to the problem, such as where they pause on the windshield but maybe not.

yup you need a new motor. And be ready for a bad one out the box

Old 03-20-2023, 05:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 387 Likes on 293 Posts

Well, I have another parts truck which has a known good motor in it. I’ll go for that next then. Thanks for the response.