Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won't Start after Valley Pan Gasket replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 09:17 PM
8th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Won't Start after Valley Pan Gasket replacement.

Hi everyone, First post. I have been following this site for any technical needs I have with my disco for quite some time. I have been able to search for all my needs until now.

I have a 2000 D2. I just replaced the valley pan Gasket because of a bad coolant leak. Long story short, after getting everything back together. The thing won't start. Starter is going strong and it spits and spurrders like it wants to get going but nothing.

It seems to me like it is having problems getting fuel. I have a full tank of gas in it by the way. Am I missing something here? Bad gas cap? Vacuum won't get going?

I have pushed down on the inertia switch to make sure it was not tripped.
I have sprayed a good deal of starter fluid into the intake, and even got a disconcerting pop out of it.
I have given it a whole bunch of time turning over to try and get going until the battery has almost died.

Your help would be appreciated.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:11 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

Are you getting spark? Did you unplug the coils to move them? If you removed the spark plug wires from the coils, are you sure you got them back on in the right order? There is a post somewhere on this forum which has a nice diagram on firing order.
I'm thinking spark issue because of the starting fluid not doing anything. I would think were it a fuel issue, with enough starting fluid, it would at least run for a few seconds.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:30 PM
8th Gear

I did pull the coil pack when doing the valley pan, and I was diligent and referenced the Rave to put everything back together.

Yes it has spark. Every few seconds when starting, it almost "almost starts", pop and spits.

Old 12-10-2014, 10:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 971 Likes on 646 Posts

Still kinda sounds like a spark issue to me, unless it's a fuel issue. Did you reconnect the gas line to the fuel rail? All the injectors seated properly and hooked up right? Also pull your spark plugs and make sure they aren't burnt. That happens sometimes after doing engine work, I burnt 2 after starting up from he HG job.

The following users liked this post:
cmthompson (12-11-2014)
Old 12-11-2014, 10:18 AM
8th Gear

OK, I just pulled the upper intake, coil pack, fuel rail. I noticed two of my injectors had the round plastic piece, the keeps the o-ring from sliding off of the injector were broken.

Anyone have any idea where to get these seals? I can only figure it is this. Also when I pulled the lower intake, when doing the valley pan, the injector ports were super dirty and I cleaned them. Maybe that is why I can get a good seal?

Also when I pulled the fuel rail and disconnected the fuel line , plenty of gas came out. Not a fuel pump issue.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:56 PM
8th Gear

Ok, got it started by pulling all of the plugs and cleaning them off and pulling the upper intake and replacing o-rings on injectors. One thing I did learn, the fuel rail is tricky and needed some extra encouragement to get seated all the way down.

I topped off the coolant and went around the block a few times. Still leaking coolant.....another thread.

Thanks for the help

Old 12-15-2014, 05:11 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default still leaking

Check the throttle body heater, it will leak into the valley pan.