Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worn Crankshaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Worn Crankshaft

Just for fun while i am rebuilding my engine. Here is my crankshaft. Had a machine shop do some work on it today. needed about 10 thousanths shaved off because of wear. now i need to get new rod bearings and main bearings. I am assuming this is the cause of my tick i've been having. Had to dig pretty deep to get to it.

The other picture is one of my worn rod bearings. Weird because the maintenance history of this truck looked really good.

Attached Thumbnails Worn Crankshaft-rod-bearing.jpg   Worn Crankshaft-crankshaft.jpg  
Old 12-14-2010, 08:29 AM
Mudding

now i do have a question. were do i get rod bearings and main bearings that are .010 sized.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:39 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dynomite
Just for fun while i am rebuilding my engine. Here is my crankshaft. Had a machine shop do some work on it today. needed about 10 thousanths shaved off because of wear. now i need to get new rod bearings and main bearings. I am assuming this is the cause of my tick i've been having. Had to dig pretty deep to get to it.

The other picture is one of my worn rod bearings. Weird because the maintenance history of this truck looked really good.
Hm, all this talk of engine ticks and worn bearings is freakin' me out m'kay?

I was MUCH happier about my engine tick when I thought it was only rockers. Contemplating an engine rebuild is not in my book a synonym for frolicking in the sunshine.

Old 12-14-2010, 08:52 AM
Mudding

where's your tick coming from? mine was obviously coming from under the engine. i also had an exhaust leak in my coolant and a miss so i just said screw it and dug in. seeing your block and heads totally cleaned up with new bearings, piston rings, clean valves, ect ect is nice though.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dynomite
where's your tick coming from? mine was obviously coming from under the engine. i also had an exhaust leak in my coolant and a miss so i just said screw it and dug in. seeing your block and heads totally cleaned up with new bearings, piston rings, clean valves, ect ect is nice though.
REALLY hard to tell...even with a stethoscope. It sounds like it's coming from the passenger side VC, but then I get under the vehicle and I can hear some sort of ticking from the oil pan (don't know if it's just resonating around the engine bay though). I'm probably gonna have to jerk the VC off to check, but I've been procrastinating though I'm more motivated now...

Old 12-14-2010, 05:21 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I talked to my engine builder today heres what he said
engine is torn down
main and rod bearings look good
crank looks good
block looks good
pistons not so good.they are worn out of spec dont know how much
So the noise that ive been hearing is piston slap
the fix is boring all 8 cyl and replacing all pistons with the next size up.