Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XRAD'S Disco 2

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 03:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 403 Likes on 280 Posts

So the new TW d-shaft on right (weighs about 3lbs more) and my old TW one on left. Think I'm going to try a rebuild and keep it as a spare. The Proline shaft has been fine after 50 miles....

​​​​​​​

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (04-12-2020)
Old 04-12-2020, 07:49 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Man - just when I think I am caught up on maintenance items I look over here! Great job XRAD - keep it going!

I put that Proline front shaft in from LK8 about 200 miles ago and its been great so far. Sourced a CDL transfer case so that is the project this week. I also am having 3 amigo issue with front left sensor so a new set is on the way.
I like your interior work on the leather seats. Where did you find them in such good condition? Everything I see on Ebay looks about as good as what I already have.

Old 04-13-2020, 10:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle

THX Craiglud! Seats from three different junked discos in three states. Yes they are VERY nice. Soft leather/foam, heated, good color, no rips. Just took a bit of time to find them (about a year). I did replace the first set of front black leather (the ones I dyed) with another nicer set.

Don't envy your CDL project. Although I would rather do the CDL than the trans....

Im happy with the proline. I still have a tiny vibration when in 4th going up hill. It's barely there, but was not there with the old shaft. Might have to try the old hose clamp trick......

I did test my HDC, and it seems the my low position switch in non functional....so have to fix that ....

Last edited by XRAD; 04-13-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-13-2020, 04:15 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 766 Likes on 502 Posts

hmm I don't believe I know what going up a hill in 4th feels like haha mine will downshift even going down hills if I try to accelerate

Old 04-15-2020, 07:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Tried some hose clamps , different weights, different positions. Still have a vibration in front shaft and a new leaky front seal (both issues were not there before), so I think maybe the output shaft bearing got damaged when my driveshaft went. Ordered a new one and another seal. Will try the slide hammer routine and see how that goes.....

Old 04-15-2020, 08:13 PM
Drifting
Default I have a sli

I have a slight seep at the output shaft but I’ve got a lot of slop in the front diff so I’ll deal with that when I figure out what I’m going to do with the diffs.
mill have to start putting more work Into the junkyard work. Most seats that I see now are going as complete units - May have to do that and renew them like u did.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by craiglud
I have a slight seep at the output shaft but I’ve got a lot of slop in the front diff so I’ll deal with that when I figure out what I’m going to do with the diffs.
mill have to start putting more work Into the junkyard work. Most seats that I see now are going as complete units - May have to do that and renew them like u did.

Check your front flange for play. Tiny bit of play at front flange could mean a bad bearing. I did not have the leak before the shaft went. My back-up transfer case has no play at all...

Installed flip up monitor. Nice unit off ebay. has iGo nav which is easy to use and does not need a bluetooth link to a smart phone to navigate. Just download the map to a micro SD and good to go. I wired up a back-up cam too. This unit is cool because you can leave the monitor up, and even if the radio is off, the back-up cam comes on right away. It is not a motorized screen, and no CD player, but two front USB ports for movies,pics, music etc... I changed out the radio control **** to a knurled aluminum one, cheesy chrome plastic **** in trash.....

The following users liked this post:
cvhyatt (04-25-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 03:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Did some welding today, too. Carpet soaked. Repaired two good sized rust holes, one at bottom of sun roof drain channel, and one at bottom of door hinge panel. The first pic looks worse than it was, that is staining of the soundproofing and light surface rust....Also repaired the floor and door seal mount. Should last a while. The AC drain is unclogged and does not show any cracks... Hope this fixes it. Probably have same issue on other side..... Also have two new front door seals to go in...

Plasma cutter and mig welder make this a 3 hour job.....

And my disco loving girlfriend and I broke up today, which sucks.....doubt I will find another one like her.....she was my rust free best friend....

Last edited by XRAD; 04-20-2020 at 06:19 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by XRAD:
cvhyatt (05-18-2020), soarvet (04-20-2020), The Deputy (04-21-2020), whowa004 (04-21-2020)
Old 04-21-2020, 10:03 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by XRAD
Check your front flange for play. Tiny bit of play at front flange could mean a bad bearing. I did not have the leak before the shaft went. My back-up transfer case has no play at all...

Installed flip up monitor. Nice unit off ebay. has iGo nav which is easy to use and does not need a bluetooth link to a smart phone to navigate. Just download the map to a micro SD and good to go. I wired up a back-up cam too. This unit is cool because you can leave the monitor up, and even if the radio is off, the back-up cam comes on right away. It is not a motorized screen, and no CD player, but two front USB ports for movies,pics, music etc... I changed out the radio control **** to a knurled aluminum one, cheesy chrome plastic **** in trash.....

I like that head unit replacement. I'll get there but im still chasing down mechanical issues. My old non-CDL Tcase has no play and no leaks. The replacement CDL-Enabled TC that UPS has lost was great condition with less than 97k miles. I have another replacement TC coming this Friday so I will see how that looks. Both the front and rear diffs have about the same about of backlash in them and I don't think im going to worry about that now but will be a later rebuild/replace item.

Old 04-21-2020, 10:05 AM
Drifting

Well at least you will have more time for your Disco now!! Its not like these trucks want to sit there neglected!

Quick Reply: XRAD'S Disco 2