Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 07:31 AM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jershelb
Nothing crazy but this method has always worked for me: reset the switch, cycle the key forward to light up the cluster, then back off, remove the key from ignition, close the door, lock the vehicle, unlock and try to start it. I’ve had to do this twice on one occasion.
awesome thanks. The inertia switch back in place fixed the hazards, but I still cant get the FP to run. tried your method a couple of times but didnt work. fuse is good. any other thoughts?

Old 04-11-2023, 08:08 AM
4wd Low
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CPTKAOS
awesome thanks. The inertia switch back in place fixed the hazards, but I still cant get the FP to run. tried your method a couple of times but didnt work. fuse is good. any other thoughts?
Did your hazards turn off with the inertia switch back in place? Can you audibly hear the fuel pump prime when key is cycled forward (assuming no, just double checking).

edit: I didn’t read your reply right and answered my own question. Sorry, it’s early here. Lol

Old 04-11-2023, 08:11 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jershelb
Did your hazards turn off with the inertia switch back in place? Can you audibly hear the fuel pump prime when key is cycled forward (assuming no, just double checking).

edit: I didn’t read your reply right and answered my own question. Sorry, it’s early here. Lol
all fixed, I have fuel pressure. pump is nice and quiet
strangely, my ABS module is making noise (electrical) even when the key is off and the ABS relay is removed...

Old 04-11-2023, 08:19 AM
4wd Low

all fixed, I have fuel pressure. pump is nice and quiet
strangely, my ABS module is making noise (electrical) even when the key is off and the ABS relay is removed...
My gut would say to verify all things spark and crank related. Both CPS’s are in place and connections solid, check plug wires for spark. Was VATS disabled in the LS pcm?

Old 04-11-2023, 08:34 AM
Drifting

Yeah I think I am all set. I need to finish the trans lines when the fittings arrive and then prime the motor with oil (fresh build) then it should start. Both ECUs are talking with no codes. I had ACE do the Rover harness and BP Auto do the LS harness and computer to eliminate some troubleshooting if possible. The challenge I have had is never having had a Rover before and I got this truck with no engine in it, so I didnt take it apart. But I am feeling pretty good about where it is now, hoping to have it fire up by the weekend. Thanks for everyone's help

Old 04-11-2023, 09:12 AM
4wd Low

Yeah I think I am all set. I need to finish the trans lines when the fittings arrive and then prime the motor with oil (fresh build) then it should start. Both ECUs are talking with no codes. I had ACE do the Rover harness and BP Auto do the LS harness and computer to eliminate some troubleshooting if possible. The challenge I have had is never having had a Rover before and I got this truck with no engine in it, so I didnt take it apart. But I am feeling pretty good about where it is now, hoping to have it fire up by the weekend. Thanks for everyone's help
Awesome man! Sounds ready to lube up and fire up! Godspeed, and let us know how it goes!

I just got my AT’s (275/65r18) mounted yesterday. I’m freshening up the front steering components and new front oxygen sensors and will be taking it on the first out of town voyage this weekend. I just rolled over 250 miles on the swap. 🙏🏻

The following users liked this post:
mtsuji90 (04-12-2023)
Old 04-11-2023, 02:55 PM
Drifting

Man that is looking killer!!!

Here is another shot in the dark..When I finally got the inertia deal figured out, things in the truck were working fine, including the shift lock for the trans....At some point today, that stopped working. Brake light switch is working and I can hear it clicking the relay but the lock solenoid isnt working...Also, my TCase is in Neutral ( I think) but I cant get it to change gears even with the trans in neutral. I added the Ashcroft CDL shifter and it does the CDL fine. I assume the TCase has a lock down on top of it?

The dash indicator lights up correctly for the gear chosen (if I manually unlock the shifter...). It feels like a blown fuse or something but I dont see any labeled transmission or TCase in the truck or in the engine bay

Old 04-11-2023, 03:04 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
Thinking about this more. A while back, Losinov and I had a discussion on my build thread about the routing. I think this was what he did. I have the Y in the 5/8 line.

5/8 inch water pump outlet -> 5/8 hose -> heater core
3/4 inch water pump outlet -> 3/4 hose -> 3-way connector with pipe from overflow tank -> heater core

Something like this should work for the 3/4: https://www.amazon.com/Joyway-Union-.../dp/B07C2TDCBV
Hi All,

I did the Y out of the main return instead of the 3/4 outlet from the water pump. Is that going to be a problem ?

Old 04-11-2023, 03:38 PM
Drifting

Man that is looking killer!!!

Here is another shot in the dark..When I finally got the inertia deal figured out, things in the truck were working fine, including the shift lock for the trans....At some point today, that stopped working. Brake light switch is working and I can hear it clicking the relay but the lock solenoid isnt working...Also, my TCase is in Neutral ( I think) but I cant get it to change gears even with the trans in neutral. I added the Ashcroft CDL shifter and it does the CDL fine. I assume the TCase has a lock down on top of it?

The dash indicator lights up correctly for the gear chosen (if I manually unlock the shifter...). It feels like a blown fuse or something but I dont see any labeled transmission or TCase in the truck or in the engine bay
OK found the fuse in the cabin box that was bad and controlling the shift lock....NOW I am left with the TCase stuck in neutral

Old 04-11-2023, 06:42 PM
Drifting

Solenoid was toast. Now I’m free to choose the violence of 4low at freeway speeds. The best part was that I had just finished riveting the shifter plate back in place and installed the console about an hour before I determined the problem. So that was special.

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion