Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 02:28 PM
Mudding
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by CPTKAOS
SPort mode plus early trans computer is a major improvement. Highly recommend. I also determined the the ls throttle body cable cam is not even close to the right ratio for the pedal. The most I could get out of that combo was 56% throttle. Got a Rover throttle body, robbed one of the cable cams off of it, drilled and tapped the LS cam so I could bolt it on and it's perfect. 99% throttle achieved.. There was also a suggestion made here or maybe on the FB page about smoothing out the IAC port inside the throttle body to reduce the air noise coming through the intake. This isnt really necessary. You can just use the idle stop screw to crack the blade open more. The computer will adjust to its set RPM by using less bypass air (IAC) since it's getting more air with the blade cracked. Works like a charm.
Can you post a few pictures of how you fabbed up the LR TB cam? I definitely need to do this.

​​​

Old 04-27-2023, 02:35 PM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah for sure. I’m away right now but will do Monday

The following 2 users liked this post by CPTKAOS:
04disco2va (04-27-2023), Boostle (04-27-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 01:28 PM
Drifting

Here are some pics as promised. Of note I met a guy with a 6.0 and a stock throttle body and his works correctly. So this issue may be with the aftermarket throttle body.

The following users liked this post:
04disco2va (05-01-2023)
Old 05-01-2023, 01:48 PM
Mudding

Here are some pics as promised. Of note I met a guy with a 6.0 and a stock throttle body and his works correctly. So this issue may be with the aftermarket throttle body.

Nice. Thanks. Yea I have a 102mm aftermarket TB. This gives me a good idea of what needs to be done. I think I'm gonna tig weld mine on.

Old 05-01-2023, 02:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Boostle
Nice. Thanks. Yea I have a 102mm aftermarket TB. This gives me a good idea of what needs to be done. I think I'm gonna tig weld mine on.
yeah so same prob on yours. Cam is steel and TB cam is aluminum. I guess you could tig it to the shaft. I wanted to be sure of placement. I stuck it on with self tappers to test everything. Then tapped the holes and used machine screws.

Old 05-01-2023, 02:13 PM
Drifting

Also I built a circuit using a relay that tells the GM ECU that the ac is on so it kicks the fans up and raises the idle. May not be an issue with a stock cam, but the Truck Norris cam is choppy

Old 05-02-2023, 09:20 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Also I built a circuit using a relay that tells the GM ECU that the ac is on so it kicks the fans up and raises the idle. May not be an issue with a stock cam, but the Truck Norris cam is choppy
Would love to do this on my build! Can you provide some detailed instructions on how to set the circuit up?
Also curious if anyone has figured out how to program the GM ECU to turn the fans off after a certain highway speed is reached.
I've tried searching for that and couldn't find a solution. Seems like the only way to control the fans is related to the coolant temp.
Nothing around the speed that the car is travelling. I assume that the head-on force of air coming in through the grill would be quite strong and the fans would struggle against it?

Old 05-03-2023, 06:52 AM
Mudding

I've been searching on Google on how to do for a long time. Do you mind sharing?

​​​​​For now I've played with the timing a bit where I've reached a happy medium so it doesn't stall 90 percent of the time but I'd definitely would like to bump the rpm up to around 1000. I have the chuck Norris cam as well.

Old 05-03-2023, 07:15 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Boostle
I've been searching on Google on how to do for a long time. Do you mind sharing?

​​​​​For now I've played with the timing a bit where I've reached a happy medium so it doesn't stall 90 percent of the time but I'd definitely would like to bump the rpm up to around 1000. I have the chuck Norris cam as well.
OK it’s pretty easy actually. What you do is you take the green and black wire that goes to the rover AC compressor as your trigger wire so you tap into that and feed it to one side of the relay with the ground on the other side of it, so it latches the relay. Then you take the three wires that went out of the GM harness to the AC pressure transducer and you take the gray wire which is 5 V and put that in one side on the other side is the trigger wire that goes back to the ECU that’s red with a black stripe on the red with a black stripe side you put in a resistor that is somewhere between 80 kg ohms in 85 kg ohms which then results in a feed of about 2 V to the ECU when the AC compressor is functioning. This will turn on the fans and raise the idle in the ECU. Every time the air conditioning is on. The only downside is it turns the fans on regardless of the temperature but that’s a small price to pay.

Old 05-03-2023, 07:18 AM
Drifting

KOhms. Sorry. Voice to text actually did a pretty decent job. The third wire in the gm harness is black and you don’t use it.

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion