Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 06:24 PM
Mudding
Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

After a solid month of rain out here...I've finally got the motor mounted properly, everything seems as good as it can be.
It looks like I'm going to have a problem trying to use the passenger side rear coolant temp sensor on the block though...I've tried bending the firewall in but its not budging...I wont be able to plug in my harness the way it is right now.
Not to mention how I'm supposed to change out that spark plug when the time comes...

So, looks like I will probably end up mounting the sensor in the upper coolant hose like mentioned in the manual...I'm just wondering what everyone else ended up doing here though..?

Is there a 90Deg fitting out there where I can still make use of that spot in the rear of the block, or should I forget it and just use the coolant hose?

Old 12-04-2020, 09:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 184 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 604x4BC

So, looks like I will probably end up mounting the sensor in the upper coolant hose like mentioned in the manual...I'm just wondering what everyone else ended up doing here though..?
I was able to fit the coolant temp sensor in that rear part of the block, but I think it depends on what temp sensor you have (99-03 have a different one than 04). Also I have an earlier kit that had a longer adapter, so the engine is a little more forward. It looks cleaner to have it back there, but I’d just move it up front if its not going easily.

Old 12-05-2020, 10:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

I believe I'm leaking oil and have been from the oil pressure sensor location, which is in the back against the firewall and nearly impossible to access....... wonderful. lol Anyone else have this?

Edit> Never mind, I was being a whiney bitch. It wasn't that bad to get out. I can't tell if the brass end we tap that hits the motor is the leak or the sensor into the tapped brass. I see on Amazon there's LS-swap intended adapters specifically for this part though and they're not made of brass so we can tighten them properly and use a crush washer and be done with the issue.

-Greg

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 12-05-2020 at 11:27 AM.
Old 12-05-2020, 11:12 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K
I believe I'm leaking oil and have been from the oil pressure sensor location, which is in the back against the firewall and nearly impossible to access....... wonderful. lol
You could plug that hole and then get something like this to relocate the sensor down by the oil pan.
Amazon Amazon

Old 12-05-2020, 11:42 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by CaptainAaron
You could plug that hole and then get something like this to relocate the sensor down by the oil pan. https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Relo.../dp/B00NY4VJL8
Yeah, not a bad idea, certainly cleans it up. I think we had to tap the brass fitting with M12x1.5 for the rover sensor. I'm not sure what the LS side needed, browsing around it looks like there's a few options, which is surprising to me as I thought they were all standard. I believe we need M16x1.5 for the LS motor. I would have thought we could find an adapter already made for this that has an O-ring or crush washer. Either way, even with the adapter you show, we still need the adapter from what I see.

Edit> This might work >>>>>
Amazon Amazon
Combine it with a crush washer both to the LS as well as on the sensor end.

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 12-05-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:49 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K
Yeah, not a bad idea, certainly cleans it up. I think we had to tap the brass fitting with M12x1.5 for the rover sensor. I'm not sure what the LS side needed, browsing around it looks like there's a few options, which is surprising to me as I thought they were all standard. I believe we need M16x1.5 for the LS motor. I would have thought we could find an adapter already made for this that has an O-ring or crush washer. Either way, even with the adapter you show, we still need the adapter from what I see.

Edit> This might work >>>>> https://www.amazon.com/Fitting-Reduc...motive&sr=1-20
Combine it with a crush washer both to the LS as well as on the sensor end.
As far as I remember, you are right: LS = M16 x 1.5, Rover = M12 x 1.5, so that fitting might work. This is the part listed on the parts list now:
Amazon Amazon

Looks to be the right one with no tapping required.

Old 12-05-2020, 04:58 PM
Rock Crawling

Oh, perfect. Better than the one I found that was shallow and might have stripped out. Thanks.

Old 12-06-2020, 09:41 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Did you use thread sealant on that oil pressure sensor adapter? No issues with mine so far.

Relocated my ECU to the engine bay today. Had to snap of the tabs that the SAI components used to be bolted to in order to use the original bolts in that area.
Tried taking that metal panel out in order to drill those brackets out but there some of the computers behind the glove box are bolted to it so not worth the trouble. I think someone already mentioned this in a previous thread and I forgot about it! Excited to get it back on the road in time for some nasty weather here in central VA.

Old 12-19-2020, 05:16 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by losinov
Did you use thread sealant on that oil pressure sensor adapter? No issues with mine so far.

Relocated my ECU to the engine bay today. Had to snap of the tabs that the SAI components used to be bolted to in order to use the original bolts in that area.
Tried taking that metal panel out in order to drill those brackets out but there some of the computers behind the glove box are bolted to it so not worth the trouble. I think someone already mentioned this in a previous thread and I forgot about it! Excited to get it back on the road in time for some nasty weather here in central VA.
I did and it leaked. I just changed it for a better adapter, let's see if that solves it. If it's leaking elsewhere, it'd be the output seal in the bell-housing. FML if that's the case......

I also now have a random engine power cut-out that's happening, Maybe vibration related, assuming an electrical connection, very annoying..... Hopefully I can figure that out, it seems to come and go, sometimes not there for days, sometimes so bad it won't even hardly run it's missing so often. Boooooooooo

Glad you moved to the engine bay, I like it better honestly. I did the same with the SAI component mounts. Good that you're just about up and running though!

Old 12-24-2020, 03:06 PM
Mudding
Received 221 Likes on 80 Posts

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas! I just wanted to update everyone on progress with kits.

We have some exciting builds that will be coming next year, and I am planning on making new threads for them in this section, so keep an eye out for that. To make time and room for those builds, I will be selling one of the in-house builds that I have put together here with a remanufactured LM7 engine from Jasper. I’m planning to post a video about that build soon. If anyone has any interest, please reach out.

Furthermore, I have been working with a number of people on a few major improvements to support more engines and more configurations. I have confirmed that the active cornering enhancement (ACE) pump will fit on the accessory brackets. It may require some modification to the hoses and a belt change. I have been testing a standalone transmission controller with our products, which offers a lot of customization options. Also, I have been working on a tunable throttle module that can improve shift characteristics with the factory controller. It’s specifically been designed for use on heavier Discos with larger tires.

We’re also slowly expanding into Disco 1 kits. I have confirmed the fitment and operation of the adapters with the Disco 1 4HP22 and now am looking for beta testers for that kit, which should be much more basic than the Disco 2 (much less electrical to deal with).

I am happy this thread has become a place for people to exchange information, and its 98+ pages certainly have a lot of information. I hope that people will continue to exchange information here in the future.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free reach out to me here or via the website: www.alternativeconversion.com

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion