Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 12:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002 beast
Has anyone ever had a problem with fuel pressure bleeding off and having to Crank a lot to get the fuel back up to the injectors I don’t see fuel or smell fuel leaking anywhere but somewhere it’s bleeding off
I'm actually smelling fuel in the engine bay and I'm not sure if it's normal or not. My nose is telling me that it's coming from the small vent canister that's on the passenger side firewall.
Isn't that part of the fuel pressure emissions? Maybe it's not functioning properly due to other emissions not being hooked up properly? I have to crank for longer than usual but I was attributing that to my issue with the camshaft position sensor.
Gonna buy a fuel pressure gauge to see if my pressure drops while the car is sitting for a few days in between drives, will report back my findings.

Last edited by losinov; 08-05-2020 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:03 PM
Rock Crawling

Can everyone chime in on where they put the GM ECU? Pics would be a bonus! Mine is currently in the glove box area but I'd like to move it to the engine bay if possible.
Plenty of mount options out there from the stock GM mount to several aftermarket mounts.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

^ Mine is temp mounted just like 2002's in the firewall area where the air pump system was. I'll post a pic when I've got something final. Today I got the right side 2.5" lift in. I'll try to get the left side tomorrow. I think I only got maybe 2" out of the 2.5" lift at most. I'm a little above stock height at least now and it'll be able to be driven without smacking oil pan just pulling into the driveway.

The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (08-06-2020)
Old 08-06-2020, 12:14 AM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I cut the inside off my glove box out and put it in there to keep it safe so if I decide to play in some water or do anything crazy I don’t want to worry about it

Old 08-06-2020, 10:29 AM
Rock Crawling

I cut the inside off my glove box out and put it in there to keep it safe so if I decide to play in some water or do anything crazy I don’t want to worry about it
Speaking of playing in water... is anyone concerned about how exposed the crankshaft position sensor is? Will mud, water and other weather elements potential screw with that sensor? I already have some muddy rain water on mine.

Old 08-06-2020, 06:33 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by losinov
Speaking of playing in water... is anyone concerned about how exposed the crankshaft position sensor is? Will mud, water and other weather elements potential screw with that sensor? I already have some muddy rain water on mine.
good question I’m taking mine the Moab Utah for a big Land Rover rally I’m going to test it out anyone on here going to the rally in September

on a side note many people ask if cruise control works I can officially say yes use the factory cruise control mount just put the cable through it and put a stopper on it I also made a custom throttle cable bracket to hold both cables

danyboyGA (08-29-2022)
Old 08-07-2020, 03:53 AM
Overlanding
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone on here pay a shop to swap their disco? I was one of the first to complete the swap myself but am curious on labor costs/hours of those paying shops for the swap. Anyone have any input/experience?

Old 08-09-2020, 09:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Interesting update on the cruise control, I looped the wire back an inch and put a similar clamp on it, this effectively did the same thing but I suspect we both have a bunch of slack that forms on the food pedal driven side when the cruise control takes over. I guess it doesn't matter, it's a little goofy though. Nice to see your setup, it's a bit cleaner using the supplied plastic piece. STILL my cruise control never has worked, neither has the horn and I suspect that might be related, the horn fuse when applied turns the horn on, the buttons on the wheel are probably dead, yet again Land Rover couldn't do a simple task. lol

If this thing was going to be wheeled in serious stuff (which discos aren't) then I'd be worried about sticks, debris and such getting into the wheel and possibly taking out the position sensor but as it since now, not too concerned. As for water concerns, those are easily addressed if you simply want to waterproof the sensor, not hard to do. I don't plan on being in water much past the oil pan with this thing at least for now.

-My A/C line routing is horrific, don't see any great solutions. Maybe some of you changed your setups from stock. Mine are badly kinked, I could barely charge my A/C unit as a result and I suspect it's not running as it should...

-Anyone else have to tap the gas a little for about 3 seconds to get this thing started? It will only start without throttle input when totally warm, even that's a maybe. When cold you have to baby the throttle and let off very slowly for a few seconds while it stumbles around and then runs great thereafter. Wife will hate that....... welcome to carburetor days babe!

-M&S lights mostly gone now, I got the crank position wheel sensor mostly sorted but every 10 or so starts it'll go to pending. So it's VERY close to good enough at this point.

-Power steering leak at the top of the little lock nut on the unit itself, gonna hit it with some RTV, noticed the hose is a little wet too and leaking so replacing that tomorrow. At that point this thing will be able to be driven on small trips around town and we can start seeing how she's gonna do.

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 08-09-2020 at 09:13 AM.
danyboyGA (08-29-2022)
Old 08-09-2020, 09:47 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K
-My A/C line routing is horrific, don't see any great solutions. Maybe some of you changed your setups from stock. Mine are badly kinked, I could barely charge my A/C unit as a result and I suspect it's not running as it should...

-Anyone else have to tap the gas a little for about 3 seconds to get this thing started? It will only start without throttle input when totally warm, even that's a maybe. When cold you have to baby the throttle and let off very slowly for a few seconds while it stumbles around and then runs great thereafter. Wife will hate that....... welcome to carburetor days babe!

-M&S lights mostly gone now, I got the crank position wheel sensor mostly sorted but every 10 or so starts it'll go to pending. So it's VERY close to good enough at this point.

-Power steering leak at the top of the little lock nut on the unit itself, gonna hit it with some RTV, noticed the hose is a little wet too and leaking so replacing that tomorrow. At that point this thing will be able to be driven on small trips around town and we can start seeing how she's gonna do.[/QUOTE]

my ac lines are very kinked also but seems to work for now might take to the auto store see if they can make them a little smaller on the rubber hose

I still have a starting problem it cranks a lot before it starts And it stumbles for a little also I put a gauge on it looks like it’s bleeding off I put a new pump and new injectors still doing it my next step is inline fuel pump and regulator and new fuel line the performance shop that tune it said I need 58 psi and Land Rover lucky to get 50 I don’t know if that’s a problem or not

M&S lights haven’t come back on yet my sensor is as close as it can get . only thing I’m getting is a random 3 amigos But they reset turn key off and back on but I have 30 miles on it but I’ll know more next week I’m on vacation going to drive it a lot

Last edited by 2002 beast; 08-09-2020 at 09:50 AM.
danyboyGA (08-29-2022)
Old 08-09-2020, 12:42 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 184 Likes on 117 Posts

I still have a starting problem it cranks a lot before it starts And it stumbles for a little also I put a gauge on it looks like it’s bleeding off I put a new pump and new injectors still doing it my next step is inline fuel pump and regulator and new fuel line the performance shop that tune it said I need 58 psi and Land Rover lucky to get 50 I don’t know if that’s a problem or not
Mine runs good on the 53 psi that my Rover pump outputs, even under sustained heavy load, etc. The hard starting might be related to your cranking tables in the tune. I’d probably look there before looking at replacing the fuel pump.

Originally Posted by 05TurboS2K
I got the crank position wheel sensor mostly sorted but every 10 or so starts it'll go to pending. So it's VERY close to good enough at this point.
That might be good enough. Mine did that in the past a bit, but as long as you don't have M&S it's good.

Last edited by CaptainAaron; 08-09-2020 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion