Engine Swaps This is the place to discuss any and all motor swaps for your Land Rover.

Discovery 2 LS Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 06:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002 beast
Hey dose anyone know I took a pcm out of a running 2002 Tahoe do I need to program it before I start my rover for the first time I don't want to hurt anything
Well for starters it probably has V.A.T.S. enabled so it will think it's stolen and won't run........

If that's not the case then sure it'll run it but I wouldn't drive it in case some circumstance with the speed sensors and transmission creating an issue, why not just get it programmed first and not mess around with extra issues? I wouldn't be afraid to simply start it up though. The GM ECU will simply be running the engine it was made to run.

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 07-07-2020 at 11:32 PM.
Old 07-07-2020, 06:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

My ECU is out for tuning....

I gave the sheet provided in instructions, he asked if VATS is to be disabled, the answer should be yes.

Then he asked further questions not on the instructions such as secondary O2 sensors being disabled, the answer is again yes but it's not in the instructions.

Is there anything else the tuner will need to do besides the instruction sheets items? Maybe we can get the instructions updated with these things but if we're going to make a change, let's get every detail.

-Greg

Last edited by 05TurboS2K; 07-07-2020 at 06:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05TurboS2K:
Matt Brown (07-08-2020), whowa004 (07-08-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 10:23 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ACEngineer
Yes, if there is enough interest. We've designed it to be completely bolt-on and something that an enthusiast could do in their garage. Fits into the factory motor mounts. Only welding should be connecting the cats to the manifolds or headers -- and a local exhaust shop could do that easy.
It looks interesting, how much would the cost be at this time, take the engine apart to repair it and I am between repairing it or changing for a GM ... I am interested friend in the information

Old 07-07-2020, 10:31 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sixpack577
Had I not just rebuilt my 4.6 I'de be beating your door down wanting an LS kit, lol!
I am in that dilemma. I'm looking for quality and good price. which are the best to mark in spare parts. bearmach, rockauto, atlanticbritish is very expensive and i don't think they are OEM

Old 07-07-2020, 10:32 PM
Drifting

[QUOTE = Sixpack577; 654161] Si no hubiera reconstruido mi 4.6, estarķa golpeando tu puerta con ganas de un kit LS, ”jajaja! [/ QUOTE]
I am in that dilemma. I'm looking for quality and good price. which are the best to mark in spare parts. bearmach, rockauto, atlanticbritish is very expensive and i don't think they are OEM

Old 07-08-2020, 09:28 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 772 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Toms
It looks interesting, how much would the cost be at this time, take the engine apart to repair it and I am between repairing it or changing for a GM ... I am interested friend in the information
At this point the only options are pay Trailhead4x4 to do a swap, get in touch with ACE and see what shops he's supplying with kits (he is no longer selling directly to consumer), or go out on your own and do it all on your own. If I can find the time/garage space I'll be going out on my own and running a L33 to a 6L90 adapted to the LT230 t-case and possibly swapping axles for fj80s (I have a wild hair and would love to see if I could come up with a way to 3 link the front and a modified 3/4 link in the rear). Bumping to a 6spd auto makes the headache and cost worth dealing with the transmission controller especially with all the elevation changes where I live. I'll retrofit dash computers most likely where the RPM and speedo gauges are to avoid some of the rover communication concerns, ABS is the only thing I'd like to keep functional (TC could be nice but not too worried about it if triple locked but I know the ABS TC and HD are all tied together). Warning lights shouldn't be a problem to make work on the dash, just depends on how much extra work it could be.

While this kit seems to be a great starting point there are an awful lot of unknowns still in the process and I'm concerned with the longevity of some of the components. That's just me being a skeptic and not having seen in person the motor mount and bellhousing solutions. I can't wait to see and hear how Greg likes his once he's rolling around again!!

Old 07-08-2020, 11:58 AM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

[QUOTE = Sixpack577; 654161] Si no hubiera reconstruido mi 4.6, estarķa golpeando tu puerta con ganas de un kit LS, ”jajaja! [/ QUOTE]
In terms of 4.6 parts, I use parts mainly from Lucky8.
Every engine part and bearing has measured in spec, and the prices are cheap.

Old 07-08-2020, 12:30 PM
Drifting

In terms of 4.6 parts, I use parts mainly from Lucky8.
Every engine part and bearing has measured in spec, and the prices are cheap.
Thanks, I will check to see what they have, where do you order them?
. .

Old 07-08-2020, 02:28 PM
TReK
Received 481 Likes on 404 Posts

Thanks, I will check to see what they have, where do you order them?
. .
You can order online, but I always call.
They know their stuff, and what parts you need for any specific job.
They also give a good discount to forum members.
I can't say enough good about the parts and service that they have given me, and on multiple orders.
I have also ordered from AB, with no complaints, other than their high prices.
And, I did get a pair of Cruciform seals(go in rear main cap) from Bearmach, because they are the only place that I have found that sells the oem kind(Allmakes brand Cruciform seals are Not made the same shape as oem).
They are only a few bucks too, so no big deal.

Lucky8
716-898-8153

Old 07-08-2020, 02:33 PM
Drifting

You can order online, but I always call.
They know their stuff, and what parts you need for any specific job.
They also give a good discount to forum members.
I can't say enough good about the parts and service that they have given me, and on multiple orders.
I have also ordered from AB, with no complaints, other than their high prices.
And, I did get a pair of Cruciform seals(go in rear main cap) from Bearmach, because they are the only place that I have found that sells the oem kind(Allmakes brand Cruciform seals are Not made the same shape as oem).
They are only a few bucks too, so no big deal.

Lucky8
716-898-8153
thank I sent them an email, they asked me for a list with a number of parts, I hope to see what they tell me. since the engine is disassembled and we know that it is a tedious job to disassemble it, it is better to make an investment to be sure of what we have

Quick Reply: Discovery 2 LS Conversion