Freelander Talk about the Land Rover Freelander within.

Freelander spins 360 degree on snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 06:09 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freelander spins 360 degree on snow

Recently I bought a pre-owned 2002 Freelander SE. I am from NY area. I took my first drive on fresh snow, around 3 inches because I thought it will do better than maxima, my other car. On a cross section, I was taking an extremely slow left turn and then I have this scary experience. After taking the turn, I just tapped the accelerator very gently...that's it. The truck went out of control absolutely. I took my foot off the brake and helplessly watching my fate. It appeared the front wheel was rotating at less speed than the rear wheels and the vehicle has started making 360 degree left turn with front wheel at center. It took a complete 360 degree turn and then some more before it came to stop. I am so lucky that I did not end up with an accident. I am driving in snow for a long time and I know what a rear wheel skid means. Steer to the direction of skid did not work. I am quite sure it will never happen with maxima as I drove it so many times in similar road condition.

I am not sure what went exactly wrong with my vehicle. The tires are perfect. In fact, this freelander appears to be very unstable in snow and now I am just scared to take this baby out in snow.

Please let me know you have similar experience and suggest me if I am supposed to do/check something that I don't know. Should I take to it a dealer and get thoroughly inspected by a landrover mechanic?

Last edited by kkg10; 01-01-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:05 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

normal, happens on my larger disco. what happens is the vehicle starts to turn and the rear wheels continue to push thevehicle. its not fun but under certain conditions especially under acceleration on a slippery surface you can have that happen with a four wheel drive or even a rear wheel drive.

if you have to try to avoid giving it gas and steering into the turn.

but bring it to the dealer anyway, there are outstanding recalls that may need to perform and they can take a look at the vehicle for any problems before it hits you hard.

Old 01-02-2010, 12:15 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here in CT we had a few storms in fact my 04 works good in snow. Little better than my D-1. Remember snow/ice does not discriminate on vehicles take your time and drive slow it will get you through.

Old 01-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Have your viscous coupling checked out, if it is not working correctly it can cause some serious drive issues.

And to add to these guys, front wheel drive and AWD are 2 different animals in the snow.