General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 09:01 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Question

Hey All,

I'm new here and just recently bought a 2006 Range Rover HSE (not supercharged). I noticed my battery light keeps going on and off while driving so I decided to go to autozone to get battery check. I was told that my battery is bad and need to be replaced. They recommend using their battery which is a Duralast Gold/Battery. Link is below:

Duralast Gold/Battery (95R-DLG) | 2006 Land Rover Range Rover 8 Cylinders 5 4.4L SFI DOHC | AutoZone.com_

Is this a good brand? The price is 170 dollars....I'm new to Range Rover it's my first one.. Should I look elsewhere? Is it okay to get a battery installed at auto shops other than the Dealership? Need help fellow range rover drivers... Thanks in advance!!!

Old 07-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Is it okay to get a battery installed at auto shops other than the Dealership? yes
Is this a good brand? yes
Should I look elsewhere? yes

check advance auto, checker, sears see who has a sale, just make sure that you get at least a 850-900 amp battery.

Old 07-06-2012, 10:22 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by drowssap
Is it okay to get a battery installed at auto shops other than the Dealership? yes
Is this a good brand? yes
Should I look elsewhere? yes

check advance auto, checker, sears see who has a sale, just make sure that you get at least a 850-900 amp battery.
Thank you so much!!!

Old 07-10-2012, 03:30 AM
5th Gear

Guys,.
I thinks the Li-ion battery technology of Flip SlideHD does not require you to completely discharge the battery for optimal performance. Best way to store bats is charged, but not fully charged. They come from the manufacturer about 60% charged, and stay that way at the vendors, and when shipped to you.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:12 AM
3rd Gear

I still have the same problem. The battery light still illuminates sporadically. Autozone installed the Duralst Gold Battery that I have linked in my initial post. What could be the problem? Is there something autozone didnt do? Were they suppose to reset something? Help fellow range drivers because I am completely lost. Thanks in advance.....

Old 07-10-2012, 06:39 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I guess they tested the battery so they could say it was bad and sell you a new one.
You either have an alternator fault or a fault in the charging and/or ground circuit.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:42 PM
Rock Crawling

Most of the time when the battery light comes on it is due to the charging system and not the battery. If your battery is fresh and you still get the light it is unlikely that it is the battery. The average battery is good for at least 4 years. As posted above, I would guess your problem is the alternator, cables or a ground.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:16 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

they have lots of issues with alternators on that year. If you have changed over your idler pulley on that motor then do the alternator and pulley and belt at the same time. Not for the diyer cause you need lots of special tools like grinders and fan removal tools.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:27 AM
5th Gear

Hi dear nice topic which discussion about i have a question Does a rechargable battery give off DC power or AC power? And is a rechargeable battery recharged with DC power?

Old 07-30-2012, 05:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Christopher121:

Batteries are DC and are recharged with a slightly higher regulated DC voltage. That voltage may have come from a higher voltage DC source (like pluging your cell phone into the cigar lighter), or a plug in charger that operates on Alternating Currect house voltage, etc. In your truck, the alternator actually generates AC voltage, and rectifies it (with diodes) turning it into DC, and uses an electronic regulator to reduce it to 13.6 - 14.4 volts of DC to recharge the battery and operate all the electrics in the truck.

You can make 120 volts AC from DC with a device called an inverter, a plug in one for the dash can power a plug strip to recharge cameras, cell phones, kid's electronic games, Ipods, electric drills, all at the same time, keeping everyone one in the truck happy while on adventures.

Alternating current is used for commercial power because it can be sent great distances at a higher voltage (like 500,000), then changed by a device with no moving parts to the voltage (120) needed in our homes and businesses. That device is a transformer. The fellow who came up with that system and a lot of early devices was Nikola Tesla. Without him, we would have DC generating plants about every mile. Of course, now a firm using his name makes some very swanky battery powered sports cars, Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles . Pix below of the inside of a big transformer being fabricated at the 142 million dollar plant Efacec (Portugal) built in my area, highest voltage they build for is 525,000.

Without AC power, and the need for power line rightaways, the number of rural trails would be reduced. And rural life would be "off the grid". Most Corps of Engineer lakes would not exist to generate power, because DC could only take it short distances.

Attached Thumbnails Battery Question-dsc02745%2520-wince-.jpg