General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Check engine light

Strange... the check engine light came on after I changed the air filter on my 2006 Range Rover HSE. Coincidence or something else?

Bill

Old 02-02-2012, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Hard to tell without the stored code that goes with that. You can go by a shop ($89 to read codes), find an auto parts store that will read for free, buy a code reader/scanner for a modest figure, or an Ultra Gauge that will do all sorts of displays and read and reset codes. If lid is not secure, or if you dislodge the air hose that goes to the engine or another vacuum hose or a plug on something, lots of things could make that code.

Attached Thumbnails Check engine light-ultra-gauge.jpg  
Old 02-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Hard to tell without the stored code that goes with that. You can go by a shop ($89 to read codes), find an auto parts store that will read for free, buy a code reader/scanner for a modest figure, or an Ultra Gauge that will do all sorts of displays and read and reset codes. If lid is not secure, or if you dislodge the air hose that goes to the engine or another vacuum hose or a plug on something, lots of things could make that code.
Side Question, I have Two Ultra Gauges one is mounted in a car and the other we just bought. With my pile of cars will it work on the 2001 Range Rover or the 1986 Land Rover? Do I need any adapters or is it plug and play.
Thank You
George P

Old 02-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

Not the 86, needs to be something that has a code reader plug (OBDII port), should work on Mutley and newer.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Overlanding

here are the codes;
P0174: system to lean bank 2
P0171: system to lean bank 1

Car running fine. I cleared the codes, will see if they recur.
Should I do something else?

Old 02-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

I would wait a few days, some codes don't pop back up until after two driving cycles.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Overlanding

I would wait a few days, some codes don't pop back up until after two driving cycles.
Thanks. I also cleaned the MAF sensor. I'll see what happens.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Overlanding

Yep, same 2 codes popped back up after driving for a while. I just can't find any vacuum leaks or other reason for either bank to be running lean. Well, I'm going to the dealership on Monday to order a spare key, so I'll let them play with it. If anything, I should learn something and report back on here.
Bill

Old 02-05-2012, 01:13 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

lean codes on an 06 can be caused by alot of things including the injectors clogging up. MAF sensor doesn't go bad in them like the D2.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:42 PM
Overlanding

Well, turns out the check engine light codes meant the ECU had to be reprogrammed. I still don't know why. Would just changing the air filter have something to do with it? I'd like to get a better explanation from the dealer.

Quick Reply: Check engine light