General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Climate Control Issue - 2005 MKIII / L322

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:34 AM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Climate Control Issue - 2005 MKIII / L322

Hey guys, can anyone point me in the right direction?

This is exactly what's happening to my Range Rover:

Climate Control Problems

Some owners have reported their air conditioning will work perfectly for about 1/2 an hour and then gradually the airflow will reduce so that the interior just gets hoter and hotter. Manually increasing the fan speed has no effect. The fan sounds as though it's working OK but there is very little air coming out of any of the vents. If you stop the car, turn off the ignition, wait a couple of minutes and start again then everything is OK. Dealers do not seem to recognize the problem. Similar problems have been reported on BMW 5 series vehicles that share the same system (see this link). Apparently in high humidity areas the control software turns off the A/C prematurely to prevent ice forming on the evaporator. For BMWs a service bulletin was issued on teh subject and there is a software fix; if you know of a fix for the Range Rover version please email me.

Basically my compressor freezes up and I need to cycle the AC off (using the button) until the air blows strong again... and I need to do this every 20min or so in the summer to keep my air blowing!

My local dealership is totally clueless and claims they can't update my software and have no idea what I'm talking about...

I spoke to at Atlantic British who told me to get the promotion number from rangerovers.net and give that to the dealership... but I can't find one anywhere. And since the dealership is the only place with autologic, it's the only place I can go to solve this problem from what I'm told.

Any help is appreciated!

Old 01-16-2012, 02:45 AM
Mudding

no software update for this vehicle module. my only guess would be to replace the actual climate control module wich is just the face itself with the buttons. we did run into this problem with the newer range rovers sports and lr4s where the recirc button actully shuts off on its own to keep the front windshield from fogging up. might wanna check operation of either pollution sensor or outside air temp sensor as well. havent really seen this problem on full size range rovers with your year though. try not putting your setting on automatic and make sure the selector under the vents is set all the way to either blue or red when you want to make it hot or cold because that actually plays a big part in your system

Old 01-16-2012, 08:48 AM
3rd Gear

The recirc button stays on auto and seems to work fine.

I'll check the pollution sensor / outside air temp sensor before trying to replace the climate control module. Is this a fault I can find with a scan tool or should I just replace them to find out?

The problem occurs even in manual mode and the vent is all the way to blue. I haven't tried to move it to the red when the problem occurs because I want it cold, lol.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:06 AM
3rd Gear

My problem is that the driver's side blows out hot air only and the passenger side blows ac and outside air.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

There are motors for vent areas on the high line model. Here are the electrical pages on same. Way more sensors and widgets than required, the design goal is for you to set it the way you want it and Rover will keep it that temp as you drive from Durban to Dubai without another thought of the controls. Great when it works, not exactly DIY friendly.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
rr 2005 hvac wiring.pdf (787.2 KB, 3568 views)
Old 04-29-2013, 08:50 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

How much difference in temperature are you seeing side to side Tabrown1951?
The blend motors don't go bad very often on these, but it is by no means uncommon for low AC charge to cause uneven temp when trying to cool.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:39 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks,The drivers side will melt shoe polish,passenger's side gives you frostbite all at the same. What I have been doing is using the vent button and closing the driver's side vents and opening the passenger's vent to cool down. With the AC off the out side air is hot on the Driver's normal on the passengers side. I do own the 1995 to 2001 workshop manual published by Rover Technical Communication. Mine is a 2000 Range Rover 4.6 HSE. Thanks again Tom

Old 04-30-2013, 08:11 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Oh, I thought you had a L322 for some reason...
In that case, yeah, the blend door motors do fail quite often. Do you have the book sign turned on in the display?
The blend motors preform a 'self tune' at various start ups, and can be forced with T4, I think there is a way to force it by pressing certian buttons on the HVAC head, but it's early and I can't remember it right now.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:09 AM
3rd Gear

Just an update that I solved my AC issue, and it was nothing that I originally thought. It turns out the AC was running low and it eventually stopped working all together. After a recharge the AC has worked perfectly fine!

Old 05-02-2013, 09:22 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks, I now know what to listen for.