General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Many new owners of older Rovers end up around $200 a month. Not hard to go thru that first $1000 getting things sorted out. But then there are guys like me that buy a "runner" for under $2000, and put some time and minor stuff into it to make it operational. Not including fancy wheels and tires. Depends on how much you drive, what you are willing to DIY. Being a hard working young man, on his way up the ladder, you may become quite interested in the electrical and shop manuals, they are well documented. Start with easy things like routine oil and fluids changes and work up. Even if you do something improtant for the first time, like brakes, you can pay a pro to check your work so mom and dad won't worry.

But please understand that any used vehicle has potential for problems, and high dollar prestige vehicles have more expensive parts and dealerships that charge big fees. I paid $4.95 for a 20 cent O-ring for my Mercedes water pump. Since it took me about 9 hours to do the water pump job, no way I wanted to do it again. If you like working on vehicles, you could also start with something that has a lot of cousins in the junkyard, so you have a steady source of cheap parts.

As for your business endeavors, purchase any book on sales by Zig Ziglar. You'll like what you read.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:53 PM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Many new owners of older Rovers end up around $200 a month. Not hard to go thru that first $1000 getting things sorted out. But then there are guys like me that buy a "runner" for under $2000, and put some time and minor stuff into it to make it operational. Not including fancy wheels and tires. Depends on how much you drive, what you are willing to DIY. Being a hard working young man, on his way up the ladder, you may become quite interested in the electrical and shop manuals, they are well documented. Start with easy things like routine oil and fluids changes and work up. Even if you do something improtant for the first time, like brakes, you can pay a pro to check your work so mom and dad won't worry.

But please understand that any used vehicle has potential for problems, and high dollar prestige vehicles have more expensive parts and dealerships that charge big fees. I paid $4.95 for a 20 cent O-ring for my Mercedes water pump. Since it took me about 9 hours to do the water pump job, no way I wanted to do it again. If you like working on vehicles, you could also start with something that has a lot of cousins in the junkyard, so you have a steady source of cheap parts.

As for your business endeavors, purchase any book on sales by Zig Ziglar. You'll like what you read.
That was some helpful information. I find it hard to believe that it's $200/month though. Are you saying that something will definitely go wrong every month?

Old 05-03-2012, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

It's the mushroom factor. One little thing, then another, and another. But here's a thought. Check out our forum every day for say a couple of weeks. You'll see that plenty of people have problems, some big, some small. But we don't go for days without new members and existing ones bringing up issues. I bought a runner for my teenager, have done repair or replace to front grille, head light assemblies, battery, electric AC fans, radiator, fan clutch (3), water pump, fan, alternator (2), serpantine belt (2), thermostat (5), battery, ground strap, hood latch, hood blanket, oil cooler hoses, plugs, MAF clean, IACV, ECU replaced, brakes, caliper, u-joints, ball joints, stabilizer, shocks, fluids, window ECU, window regulators, front seats, seat motors, rear wiper motor, tail lights, tire. Still chasing evap codes, need cruise repaired, head gaskets any day now, etc. It spends so much time under the shade tree that the roof is white from the partz vulturz in the higher branches. A Rangie is more complex than a Discovery. Many first Rover owners had more folding money, so in many cases they were dealer maintained by open checkbook. You may not spend $200 this month. But if you need head gaskets, $1700 - $2200 at an indy shop.

Wth any vehicle you need to budget for repairs. If not, the credit card (an evil thing you may not have obtained yet) can be maxxed out quickly. If you don't spend the money, toss in the college fund, or the "buy the next car fund".

I have owned 2 Dodge Darts, Dodge Charger, Dodge pickup, Caravan, Ford Pinto, F-250, Windstar, Honda CRX, Isuzu I Mark, Isuzu Trooper, Nissan Quest, Sentra, Stanza, Kia Sedona, Mercedes 300TE, Mitsubishi Montero Sport, and Land Rover Discovery 1. And Ford Taurus wagon and Audi 5000. More time spent working on Disco than anything else.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 05-03-2012 at 06:45 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:58 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
It's the mushroom factor. One little thing, then another, and another. But here's a thought. Check out our forum every day for say a couple of weeks. You'll see that plenty of people have problems, some big, some small. But we don't go for days without new members and existing ones bringing up issues. I bought a runner for my teenager, have done repair or replace to front grille, head light assemblies, battery, electric AC fans, radiator, fan clutch (3), water pump, fan, alternator (2), serpantine belt (2), thermostat (5), battery, ground strap, hood latch, hood blanket, oil cooler hoses, plugs, MAF clean, IACV, ECU replaced, brakes, caliper, u-joints, ball joints, stabilizer, shocks, fluids, window ECU, window regulators, front seats, seat motors, rear wiper motor, tail lights, tire. Still chasing evap codes, need cruise repaired, head gaskets any day now, etc. It spends so much time under the shade tree that the roof is white from the partz vulturz in the higher branches. A Rangie is more complex than a Discovery. Many first Rover owners had more folding money, so in many cases they were dealer maintained by open checkbook. You may not spend $200 this month. But if you need head gaskets, $1700 - $2200 at an indy shop.

Wth any vehicle you need to budget for repairs. If not, the credit card (an evil thing you may not have obtained yet) can be maxxed out quickly. If you don't spend the money, toss in the college fund, or the "buy the next car fund".

I have owned 2 Dodge Darts, Dodge Charger, Dodge pickup, Caravan, Ford Pinto, F-250, Windstar, Honda CRX, Isuzu I Mark, Isuzu Trooper, Nissan Quest, Sentra, Stanza, Kia Sedona, Mercedes 300TE, Mitsubishi Montero Sport, and Land Rover Discovery 1. And Ford Taurus wagon and Audi 5000. More time spent working on Disco than anything else.
Thanks a bunch.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Three Wheeling

Alex, buy the toyota. My older sons put an additional 125K on a 94 Celica GT that had 150K already on it and I paid $750 for. Only issue was the starter , so i told them to keep a hammer in the car and bang the starter before starting. Worked for another 6 months. Sold it to some kids in town and its still driving around town. Your gonna need to sell alot of ad's to pay for the inevitable repairs and upkeep , and going to dad every month for money in repairs isnt gonna be too much fun. Ive put over 400K on a couple of toyotas and an Infiniti myself and only changed filters and fluids. The japs have the brits number on reliability.

Get the Sequoia, best truck Ive EVER owned.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:35 AM
Three Wheeling

Alex

" Every picture tells a story, dont it ...."

Attached Thumbnails Need Help-photo.jpg