General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New member, looking to buy 2005 RR HSE, advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 04:44 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, looking to buy 2005 RR HSE, advice

Hi. New member with a heart set on a 2005 or 2006 Range Rover HSE. I have spent a ton of hours reading post. Very impressed with all the members, and all the certified RR mechanics giving their time & advice to help owners.

Have my eye on a 2005 HSE, 71K miles. Original owner. Service history. I have validated the propshaft was replaced with the CV style fix (front propshaft) as a warranty fix. This vehicle is at a dealership for sale. Front rotors were replaced, new brakes all around, newer tires.

I don't believe it has had any suspension work, and I am nervous about that. There is a chance I can work in a replacement of suspension components as part of the sale. Currently the are asking 23k. I would feel better if i had the belts and hoses done now as well. So, I was thinking about asking to have the rear shocks and front struts replaced. I know the suspension is electronic air ride but I am not sure if there are other reasonable suspension parts I could work into the deal. I am sure the airbags, compressor and other components are quite expensive.

I think 23K as it sits now is a bit high, I believe I could get the price reduced 1K I would very much appreciate input from owners and mechanics on what work I should have done. I am mechanical but won't have time to do belts/hoses ect. I'd rather work a package deal now with the purchase. If I have a 25K budget before taxes, and assume I can get the truck for 22K, what should be done 1st if I want to add in 3k of service work. I am leaning towards belts and hoses for sure, I am not sure what to ask for with suspension or what would be fair cost. The dealership has a good reputation and the salesperson seems wiling to work with me.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:07 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The suspension is probably going to be the part you spend 3k+ on if it hasn't been done before. I am willing to be it hasn't... As for the service, I would recommend the belts and hoses and what not, but do the transmission fluid and filter change. Odds are, the transmission fluid has not been changed in it either because they are "serviced for life" which is BS. They need to be serviced...

Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Drifting

I would like some deatiled information on this as well about typical cost of ownership per year on one of these and an honest opinion on how often do these really have problems. I myself am coming out of an AMG mercedes which arent bad on maintinance and malfunctions but arent honda civic's either. I have my eyes on a local 2005 Range rover HSE Luxury package.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:09 AM
3rd Gear

Thank you for the feedback. I decided to pass on the 05. It was a stunning truck, dark blue with a cream and blue piped interior. Exterior was also very nice. I have decided since I do want to spend much time wrenching to save and lift my budget to get into a model just a few years old with factory & extended warranty rather then take my chances on an older model and no warranty. The rover was at a dealer in PA, and the sales man was very helpful with getting service history. At 23K it would be a great truck for someone willing to manage the work that might come with an older truck. 2005 with 71K was to old for me.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Funny, my Mercedes have all been so old and rusty they needed plenty of attention also.... but the 93 Cabrio makes even a shade tree mechanic look good.... and my 84 Civic CRX let go the timing belt at 80 mph on I-285 in Atlanta, hello valve job.

And speaking of mechanics, you would be wise to arrange a pre-purchase inspection by a mechainc experienced in Rovers. A couple of hours of his time can save you a lot.

The factory site is TOPIx - TOPIx , you can download or view owner manuals for free.

There are also sections in the link below for LR3 manuals and older. Also free download. https://www.cubby.com/pl/LR3+worksho...ls/Range-Rover

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 04-23-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:58 AM
Drifting

Yea thats a good idea i think too, i myself just dont want to fork out a large amount of money for a new vehicle $30+ to find out that its something i dont like and be stuck with a huge payment. I just want to get my foot in the door with it first to make sure its something i will like than upgrade later on to something newer and more expensive. My mercedes is a 2006 C55 amg and its been ok not great but not bad i bought it with 60k and put 30 on it within 2 years and have replaced: 1 fuel pump&fuel filter, 1 maf sensor, brake rotors, 1 gas cap, and 3 sets of rear tires....... but at the same time its never left me stranded on the side of the road or anything.