General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P38 GPS problem + Blower problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 06:46 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation P38 GPS problem + Blower problem

Dear members,

I've looked through the forum and other websites regarding my issues.

However, I am still left with some questions.

My GPS system on my P38 (2001) stopped working some time ago. We think it's the GPS unit in the trunk of the car, but I just checked my air conditioning filters (which needed to be replaced) and came across the GPS antenna.

It seemed that the wire of the GPS antenna was broken. It was still (slightly) connected but the piece connecting the antenna wire to the other wire of the car came off of the GPS antenna wire.

Could this loose wire be the reason why my GPS system wouldn't start up? The GPS display didn't want to start up, and my question was whether this had to do with the loose antenna.

---

Furthermore, the blowers stopped working. I've checked relais RL6 and RL7 and these seem to be fine, but I'm not entirely sure. The air conditioning filters do need to be changed as they are very dirty. The filter unit on the right side is soaked in water, which I don't understand.

What else could be the problem with the blowers? I've read that they can overheat because the AC filter units are not replaced on time.

Regards,
Fred

Old 10-12-2011, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

A filter saturated in water would restrict air flow, motor has to work harder, and is cooled by same air flow, so a double hit on it. Many GPS units of any design use a pre-amplifier or other electronics right at the antenna, so a bad connection would cause real performance issues. Antennas for GPS frequently have to get DC power from something to run the electronics in the antenna package.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:01 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
A filter saturated in water would restrict air flow, motor has to work harder, and is cooled by same air flow, so a double hit on it. Many GPS units of any design use a pre-amplifier or other electronics right at the antenna, so a bad connection would cause real performance issues. Antennas for GPS frequently have to get DC power from something to run the electronics in the antenna package.
Makes sense on the filters.

However, could my blower(s) now be broken due to overheating?

Furthermore, I just placed my GPS unit back into the car as I took it out. When I now turn on the car and turn on the GPS system, the screen shows white for a second and then goes dark grey.

The GPS system in the back of the trunk says "ON" and looks to be working, but my screen still isn't turning on.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Probably time to consult the RAVE manual set, I think it covers up thru 2004 RR, will have section on electrical, navigation, etc. Blower will be under heating and ventilation, Air conditioning is more about just the cold making parts. Blowers tend to have mutiple speed resistor packs (that's one way to select speed), but can be done other ways as well. Usually there are several, not just one, fuses involved.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 07-24-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:51 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The speed control resistor packs also have a thermal link on them, basically just a spring that's soldered on. If the termperature gets too high, the spring lets loose, and removes the connection to the resistor pack. However, if you set the fan to full spedd, it bypasses the resistor pack. If the resistor pack is the problem, the fan should run at full speed.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My blower motor went out on my last P38 due to the previous owner never changing the pollen filter. I installed new filters and replaced the blower motors (both) and all was good. You should also have a open book icon on your display (that indicates a problem with self testing system).

Old 07-24-2013, 11:51 AM
5th Gear

Does anyone know how to remove the GPS unit from the back?

Old 10-10-2013, 10:46 AM
2nd Gear

GQHOOD do you mean GPS dvd or the entire unit?

Old 10-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredzzz
The filter unit on the right side is soaked in water, which I don't understand.
I'd be willing to bet you have a damaged or missing pre filter on your fresh air intake. This runs along the base of the windshield. It should be covered in what looks like scotch-brite. If that isn't there, the plenum fills up with leaves and junk which then clog the drains that run down behind the fenders and empty out by the front edge of the doors. I had a P38 and it was lacking that filter so I've seen it happen. Here's a thread showing how to replace it: Intake plenum filter replacement (Range Rover 4.0/4.6/p38)

Old 10-11-2013, 11:39 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by lr2lover
GQHOOD do you mean GPS dvd or the entire unit?
I need to remove the whole unit from the back. I've felt a loose wire that's not connected to it, so I'm assuming that loose wire is not making my GPS screen turn on, so I need to remove the whole back unit where the CD goes in. I've a P38 2002 Range Rover.