General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Review Mirror without auto dim??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Replacement Review Mirror without auto dim??

I was wondering if anybody has found a replacement review mirror that doesn't have the autodim feature? Mine went out my RR (I had one go out in my Discovery too.) I am sick of paying out $300 for a mirror that is just going to go out again. I have dark tinted windows so a manual mirror wouldn't be an inconvenience. I might just run to the junkyard and see what I can find. Any thoughts?

Old 10-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Rock Crawling

I just found a good deal on one for a 2000 model, mine is a 1997,will it fit? This one has a compass built in so I was wondering if the wiring would be the same. Can I make the compass work? I like the idea of having one built in.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

idk if the compass would work, it might if the compass is built into the mirror and not somewhere else on the vehicle. Just check the connectors and compare the two. As cheap as this sounds, a simple solution that I did was just to remove the front glass containing the auto dimming lcd revealing the mirror underneath. kept the same mirror and didn't cost me anything, you will need to clean off the stuff left on the mirror from the auto dimmer though.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:15 AM
Rock Crawling

Oh, I didn't know you could salvage the mirror when they go bad. So you basically just pull off the trim on the front and remove the top layer of glass? When you put it back together it looks ok?

Old 10-10-2009, 02:10 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It looks... OK lol. It works, I'll leave it at that. I was not able to remove the trim and feared I would break it. I ended up accidentally breaking the glass in front. And then got a little hammer and started tapping the glass. I then pulled the glass off in chunks, make sure you use gloves and wash your hands when you are done, there is mercury in the liquid crystals. There will be quite a bit of residue left on the mirror from the auto dimmer, and will require quite a bit of cleaning with a heavy duty detergent. I used brake cleaner to start lol.

In the end you have a functional mirror at least. I can't say it looks pretty because there is always a little stubborn residue left, but friends have asked if I replaced it when they looked at it.

Last edited by LRScott; 10-10-2009 at 02:12 AM.