General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel axle spun bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 10:37 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel axle spun bearings?

Doing the brakes on a 95 Range Rover Classic and on the rear the left rear stub axle has a little lip on it, on the outboard side. I would guess that bearing has spun. I assume that we have to replace that stub axle and that set of bearings? What size are those axle nuts? I think a bit bigger socket is needed than I have...LOL.

Anything else I need for the usual brake job? I have rotors, brakes, bearing seals, there was no gasket/seal on the axle to hub?? Some parts pictures show a gasket?

Old 08-24-2006, 03:37 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Wheel axle spun bearings?

Went by a local non dealer shop and have most of what I need. He said to use Loctite515 to replace the paper gaskets. Heck of a time finding it but while looking for it I noticed that Loctite makes some bearing compounds. Since seeing a pile of stub axles with spun bearing marks on them makes me wonder if there is some problem with either how people are installing the bearings or something else...has anyone used any of the loctite or other brand bearing compounds, some are for press fit but some seem to be for roller bearings?