General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Discovery 4.0 head gasket? HMMMM dont think so

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Discovery 4.0 head gasket? HMMMM dont think so

So i bought my 98 Land Rover Discovery about 1 week ago and it was said to have a bad head gasket....

Are the blocks iron or aluminum?

When taking off the top part of the motor, i noticed the intake bolts were mighty loose.....

When taking off the passenger side middle head bottom bolt, i noticed the guy that changed the head gasket before me, did NOT put this bolt in right and stripped the hole out, pretty bad, so much that it wasnt tight at all. Im going to have the head checked for warpage and also tap a new hole BUT i guess my question is this...... If the block is Aluminum, when forcing a bolt in there, wont it crack the block, or am i just trippin out? I know that it what happens for the 5.7 Aluminum block in my Camaro LOL. I really hope that i am not dealing with a cracked block cause that would just be my luck right? HEHE. Where is a good place to get a 4.0 just in case? Is there anyway to find a crack within that bolt hole? I guess i wiil see how it goes soon enough right?

Thanks group!!!

Old 08-18-2010, 01:34 AM
Overlanding

Well alrighty then. I've never been to such a closed off group before so I dunno how to take this. Good thing I'm a mechanic eh lol. Thanks guys .

Old 08-18-2010, 08:30 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

they are aluminum blocks. now that you have it all broken down you can rent a test kit to see if the block is a mess. if there are stripped bolts you are in trouble to start. for another 4.0 check roverlandparts.com

Old 08-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Overlanding

Thank you Hill topper. I actually ordered that Rover DVD and they go through the whole thing and i learned that i might have some problems but just with that bolt. I guess my biggest concern is this.....

When he jammed the bolt in there, did he crack the block or crack the bolt hole and hit a water jacket? Do you know if that center bottom head bolt (closest to the exhaust manifold) is near a water jacket? I cant see in the manual where the water jackets are located and the oil is totally mixed with antifreeze. Thanks in advance and thank you for stepping up.

Old 08-27-2010, 11:38 PM
Overlanding

just an update to my current situation.

I fixed the head bolt hole and it was able to torque properly so that is good to go. I pulled the timing cover and found that the gasket was torn apart behind there so i am almost positive that i have found where my coolant and oil mixture is being brewed. It was kind of a pain in the **** getting to it BUT honestly my camaro is a TOTAL PAIN to do anything to, so it could have been a ton worse.

Does anyone know the torque rate on the timing cover and the intake man? Thanks again everyone....

Old 09-08-2010, 02:47 AM
Overlanding

so the problem lied within the cooling system and gaskets.....

After replacing the head gaskets and timing cover gasket, she doesnt mix any oil and antifreeze .....

However, i never checked the water pump and it TOO was bad and a new one is on the way I cant wait to get her on the road, shes too purdy to be sitting in the garage LOL

Old 09-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey dan, glad to hear you fixed your issue, this forum is actually pretty good. I just think everyone here works quite a bit, so sometimes the responses are a bit slow

Old 09-08-2010, 07:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Dans91
Well alrighty then. I've never been to such a closed off group before so I dunno how to take this. Good thing I'm a mechanic eh lol. Thanks guys .
Nobody ever reads this part of the forum, you will have much much better luck posting in the DI section.
The DI and DII section are the top area's.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Overlanding

thanks guys I think im just so used to the Camaro Forums and there are a ton more members there and about a kagillion sites so i didnt know if i picked a slower use type of board. I want to belong to a Land Rover family and so far i havent found one yet Oh well, i cant wait to get that dang water pump so i can go play

Thanks again fellas

Cheers,
Dan

Old 09-09-2010, 04:49 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good guys here dan, i went over to the land rover only forums, and THOSE guys IMO are a bit clannish, these guys are much better have a good one !