General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ABS problem with my '97 Disco

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 06:53 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS problem with my '97 Disco

Hi

Lately when I brake at low speeds, especially in slippery conditions, I get an erratic and heavy thumping sensation in the pedal and the brakes in large measure fail to work. If I then take my foot off the pedal then reapply they usually work fine.

The anitlock idiot light was on and I took my Rover to the dealer rather than my local guy thinking familiarity would solve the problem quicker. I assumed I had a bad sensor. They changed a seal ? at great expense, light is off problem still exists.

With complaint they looked for source of problem twice, now seem stumped and suggest this is how LR ABS systems work.

Has anyone expierienced the likes of this or have any thoughts ?

Old 03-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Winching
Default RE: ABS problem with my '97 Disco

Need A little more info Ullean. What seal did they replace and what code did they retrieve ? You paid for A diagnoses. They should provide you with the exact info. Let us know. Then the Board can steer you in the right direction

Old 03-16-2005, 09:06 PM
8th Gear

Ullean

I have a 97 Disco with the same problem. As long as my light is on, the brakes work fine but if that light ever goes off I know that I have to be careful with the brakes. I haven't had it looked at yet because I haven't found a leg nor an arm to replace the ones I have now. I wonder if it is a sensor with the ABS system. Any help that anyone else can provide would be great!

Old 03-18-2005, 12:04 AM
Mudding

Just a quick note on anti-lock brakes and slippery conditions. If you are on ice, it is not uncommon for the brakes to "appear" not to work. The ABS will allow the wheels to keep turning so they don't lock up on you. Assuming you know about this, but thought to mention it just in case. This is one way to get the "thumping" you mentioned.

You also mentioned a seal. My guess is it was the seal and bushing on the actual ABS sensor (I think the bushing is copper)? These two items are not cheap at the dealership. Any additional infromation about what was done would be appreciated.

Discogirl: Does your ABS still trigger when the light is illuminated? My guess is it probably doesn't function, so what you have are "normal" non-ABS brakes. I know my system didn't function when the ABS light was lit. I would have to periodically reseat the ABS sensor in my driver side front wheel, as it would work itself loose. The connector tie had broken, so when I turned my wheel, I would sometimes end up pulling on the sensor. I fixed this, flushed my brake system, put in new fluid and bled it the air out of the system. All functions well now.

I had some of the "thumping" problem, and am pretty sure it was air in my system.

Old 03-25-2005, 07:43 PM
6th Gear

I had the same problem in my 97 Disco last year, but my repair guy replaced the sensor. If the ABS light is on, that should mean that the ABS is not engaged. My ABS light came on, but the brake would often act as if the ABS was on even when it wasn't slippery (you get a rhythmic pushback on the brake pedal that feels like thumping). Anyway, he replaced the sensor (and yes there has to be a sensor, otherwise what tells the car to turn on the idiot light) and the car worked fine after that.

Old 03-25-2005, 09:58 PM
Overlanding

they probably had gotten a "air gap too large " fault and reseated the sensor.chances are you probably need that sensor that they refitted.Any reputable shop or dealer will rediagnose your problem if it has reoccurred in a short time after the repair.beware sensors are expensive!