General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Belt Squeal, Tiny Coolant Leak, Suspension Fault

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2011, 05:17 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Belt Squeal, Tiny Coolant Leak, Suspension Fault

Ok, New to the forum and 1st time Range Rover Owner, so I apolagize in advance if I sound like an idiot when discussing the issues. I have done numerous searches and haven't been able to get an answer on any of the issues I am having.

I have a 2006 Range Rover HSE, with the 4.4l engine. The engine only has 27000+ miles on it and seems to be in pristine shape except for the things that I am experiencing. Below is a list of issues that I am having and would appreciate any constructive experience or assistance that anyone may have. So here goes.

1. Belt squeal when I start it up, but only until it warms up. If I put water on the belt, while squealing, it stops squealing temporarily. Which is different from what normally happens on a squealing Belt. Water normally makes a squealing belt louder. I see the belt shifting back and forth on one of the pulleys, but being new to the Range Rover I am not sure which one it is(if its an idler pulley or....)

2. I have a small coolant leak that seems to be at the front of the engine bay on the passengers side. I cant seem to locate where it is coming from. I know that it is at the front passenger side because when sitting in the garage overnight a small puddle(about the size of a half dollar) forms on the garage floor. It just happens to be in the same area as the squealing belt. Coincidence, maybe but not certain.

3. Every now and again while driving, all of a sudden I get a suspension fault, do not drive over 30mph. Not sure why this just appears after driving for 10-30 minutes. This is only intermitant, and doesnt happen all the time.

Are any of these a common problem experienced in this model, and if so what are the fixes?

I am not a mechanic, but do most of the work on my vehicles and motorcycles, so I am no stranger to tools and greasy hands. But like I said, I am just learning about the Range Rover and appreciate any constructive help. Like, is there a Service/Repair manual that I can download somewhere. I am looking for a diagram of the the Serpentine routing diagram, and description of the pulleys and their end Item parts. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Even though it only has 27k on it it is still 5 years old.
Replace the belt, and then if the squel continues replace the belt tensioner.

What color is the engine coolant?

As for the suspension fault, you know you have air ride suspension right? There are a ton of things that can go wrong and/or set off fault codes.

Old 06-01-2011, 12:25 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

probably the radiator. There is an updated tensioner and belt assembly. Ask the parts dept about it. The suspension could be anything you need the codes read.