General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Crank shaft Pulley Installation question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 10:23 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank shaft Pulley Installation question

2011 Range Rover 5.0. I need to install the crankshaft pulley, the big center retaining bolt can be a right hand thread or a left hand thread. One of the tools used to install the pulley is the threaded rod that screws into the end of the crank, its identified as tool number 303-1440. This tool is for a right hand thread application. The motor I am working on has the 12.9 stamp on the bolt head, its a left hand thread center bolt. Calling around and no one seems to know what the tool number is when its a left hand thread application.
Anyone know what is used for left hand thread?
Thanks, Wolf

Old 08-06-2018, 02:15 PM
4wd High

Thought I would update this issue. I guess I am the only one in the country with a Range Rover 5.0 left hand crankshaft pulley center bolt. (sarc) I called every tool supplier for Land Rover in the country that I could find, they have no idea what to do in this situation and cannot in any way identify the threaded shaft tool for a left hand center bolt, they only have right hand. I contacted the primary tool supplier for Land Rover dealerships and they also could not help with my need. I informed them the left hand bolt is identified in the factory service manual, and its where I got the information from that ID stamp on the bolt head that there are left handed and it came off that way. They then told me to contact Land Rover and let them know an additional tool has been recognized and is required. Are you kidding me? Like I have the time for that to happen, first they're not going to listen to me a private individual, ....so how absurd, that is their job. Idiots!
To resolve I will machine the tool myself.
Good luck if you ever come across one of these.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:24 PM
4wd High

The answer to the question as to what tool is identified for the left hand thread... is that there is no tool, only a right hand thread tool is made. So I made the tool myself and it worked well.