General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

First time Rover Owner needs assistance on servicing '03 Discovery SE

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 11:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

I read that one must install a new drain plug and drain plug washer upon each oil change?
Certainly news to me per the plug unless buggered, where did that info come from? One of our members suggests just flipping the washer. Many folks don't even bother with new washers because any significant leaks from reusing are rare. My preference is to use a new washer if readily available but if it delays my project can live with a seeping drip or two on the pan.

Keep up your good work and enjoy the ride.

The following users liked this post:
ALIENATED (12-09-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 11:06 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Thank you for your response, Mr. Booth.

(1) I will go back to roversnorth.com and see about purchasing this OBDII diagnostic tool that you speak of...hopefully, you guys will be able to tell me how to use it, because I have not a clue.

(2) I will go to the local parts store tomorrow, and see if I can get them to pressure test the vehicle. I will look into that tomorrow - I have never used a pressure tester before, but my guess is that they can do that for me at the parts store.

(3) I will take the vehicle to the recommended establishment - listed earlier in this thread courtesy of "chubbs878" - and see if they can ascertain if the driveshafts are safe, normally operable, and serviceable.

As for the bubbling issue - I went to the garage, and started the vehicle. The noise does appear to originate behind the dash, driver's side perhaps. I always figured it was the sound of the coolant bubbling, but now that you described it as "a (sound) behind the dash", I believe that may be where the noise derives. I did here it at startup just now - it was much more faint than it is while out on the roadway, say, at a stoplight at normal operating temperature, however, it was still there.

Once my tstat has arrived, I will see if I can install it myself, and bleed the heater core system at the same time - I will try. Otherwise, I suppose I'll have to pay to have that done as well.

Thanks again for your post, Sir! I appreciate it. Feel free to keep the suggestions coming, and/or expound your thoughts regarding my Disco. Thanks.

Originally Posted by Robert Booth
Welcome to the Forum.
The bubbling that you're hearing inside the truck. Does it happen at startup? Could it be said to be a waterfall type sound behind the dash? If so, then you have air in your heater core. Once you replace the thermostat, bleed the system thoroughly and the noise will go away.
You're going to want to get that cooling system pressure tested asap. In fact the three most critical things for you to do are 1) check the cooling system 2) buy an obd2 reader that allows you to monitor the coolant temperature in real time and 3) ensure that the front driveshaft has been replaced with one tabs can be serviced.

All these things I've already been mentioned by folks that have replied but I can't over emphasize how important it is to ensure that the truck isn't running hot.

Old 12-09-2015, 11:11 PM
Overlanding
Question Is that so?

In that case, I'm gonna do it now then. Thanks for the support, ol' number 9. And, to answer your question, I may have seen a youtube video from a tech with reputable parts supplier, who claimed that the new plug and washer was mandatory and/or highly recommended. I also read a couple of step-by-step threads that indicated the same thing. I suppose the tech was just covering his behind and/or ultra-thoroughly covering all bases since the world was watching - just as guess.

I am going to go flip that washer now...

Thanks, again, Sir!

Originally Posted by number9
Certainly news to me per the plug unless buggered, where did that info come from? One of our members suggests just flipping the washer. Many folks don't even bother with new washers because any significant leaks from reusing are rare. My preference is to use a new washer if readily available but if it delays my project can live with a seeping drip or two on the pan.

Keep up your good work and enjoy the ride.

Last edited by ALIENATED; 12-09-2015 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:36 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

in which area do you live? I have an apartment in Mesquite where I'm not allowed to do much so most of my wrenching takes place out where my folks live in Ennis. My workplace is just a few blocks from N.D. Imports. I carry a few tools with me. Perhaps we can get together. PM if you are interested and I can help you out. you can buy that driveshaft for $200 and we can swap it out. They will charge you like $800 and that's only for the front one. I could slap that sucker on while you are sitting in Jack-n-the box drive-thru waiting to get 3 monster tacos.

Last edited by chubbs878; 12-10-2015 at 01:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ALIENATED (12-10-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 02:15 AM
Overlanding
Thumbs up Chubbs...

That'd be great, man. I won't be partaking in the deep-fried soybean n' imitation cheese tacos, however. If, in fact, you do have the time and wherewithal to install driveshafts, I will be in the **** right beside you learning as much as I can, and doing any heavy lifting that I can! Anybody that knows me well, will tell you that you will have to kill me to get me to stand and watch while someone else works. Not on my watch! I'll PM ya, man. Thanks!

Originally Posted by chubbs878
in which area do you live? I have an apartment in Mesquite where I'm not allowed to do much so most of my wrenching takes place out where my folks live in Ennis. My workplace is just a few blocks from N.D. Imports. I carry a few tools with me. Perhaps we can get together. PM if you are interested and I can help you out. you can buy that driveshaft for $200 and we can swap it out. They will charge you like $800 and that's only for the front one. I could slap that sucker on while you are sitting in Jack-n-the box drive-thru waiting to get 3 monster tacos.

Last edited by ALIENATED; 12-10-2015 at 02:36 AM.