General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Key broken in door. Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 02:47 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key broken in door. Help please!

So I've done a lot of research on this and while I've been able to find a lot of other people that have had similar problems, I've been unable to find a solution.

A couple days ago, my only key broke off in my drivers side door. I've been to the dealership and had two keys made but neither one of them start the rover. They both unlock the doors though. I've tried jiggling the key for hours to no avail. I have A spare vehicle to drive right now, but the rover is stuck at the mall.

I have no idea what to do next. I'm real low on money and I just want to get it home. I can't afford to go have more $30 keys made hoping that one of them will eventually work. Also the parts dept will be closing for the weekend in about an hour.

I'm willing to hot wire it if I need to. Of course if anyone has a better idea I'd much rather try another way. I just really need to get it home before it gets towed.

I just got the rover a couple months ago and am a complete noob. I have a decent understanding of basic automotive mechanics (my last vehicle was a nissan 240sx that I basically rebuilt) but I've never really worked on a land rover before.

By the way, I have a 98 discovery. Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 07-03-2010, 01:44 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

ok, take a large flat screwdriver and hammer and take off the steering wheel cover to expose the two sheer bolts. Tap them out and take the ignition switch and get it fixed by a local locksmith.

that is what we do all the time on the older ones.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:19 PM
6th Gear

By steering wheel cover, do you mean the black plastic piece that covers the column where the ignition is? And what could a locksmith do? There wasn't anything wrong with ignition before? You think he'd be able to rekey it so my new keys will work?

Old 07-04-2010, 01:05 PM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

yes its the black cover and its three philips screws in the bottom. and yes the locksmith can fix it.

oh and the plug is in the fuse box.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:45 PM
6th Gear

So I tried to take the cover off with a screwdriver to no avail,is there aneasier way to do this? Or do I just need to keep trying?0