General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Key Won't Unlock Drivers Side Door

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 05:53 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key Won't Unlock Drivers Side Door

Just bought this 2003 Disco and ran into a puzzling problem. To begin with, I only received one key (that's all the previous owner claims came with it). I immediately noticed that the remote buttons on the key would lock and unlock all of the doors except the drivers side. In order to lock the drivers side, I had to actually insert the key. I just assumed that was a safety mechanism built into Land Rovers???

Well, yesterday I went to unlock the drivers side and the key wouldn't turn in the door to unlock it. Puzzled, I removed the key and hit the unlock button on the remote. As always, all the doors unlocked except the drivers door. I re-inserted the key in the door and it turned and unlocked. Same thing happened one other time last night.

Today, I go to unlock the door and again it doesn't turn. I removed, hit the remote unlock, re-inserted, BUT THIS TIME the key still didn't turn. Obviously I can unlock the door by reaching from the passenger side and opening the door with the handle. But I have tried everything to get the key to be able to unlock the driver side door and I can't figure it out. The key will still start the vehicle.

Any ideas or suggestions? Also, at this point, I presume it's not normal for the remote not to unlock the drivers side door. How can that be fixed? I'm assuming there is an internal issue on the driver's side door.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:29 PM
Baja
Received 719 Likes on 624 Posts

2 issues.

1) Your door actuator on that door is broken. You will need to get a new one and then strip of the door panel, remove the door frame and replace the actuator. The bolts that hold it on are on the onside jam of the door and are torx head screws.

2) I'm guessing that since the actuator didn't work the key mechanism was getting a good workout. There is a pot metal "mace" shaped lever/pin that connects from the key turning assembly to the manual unlock assembly on the opposite side. That has probably broken.

I know this because I bought a car with a broken remote that also had a drivers door lock that didn't work. Once the remote was broken the key was always used and broke the mace.

There is a good write up on Dweb about using a 16P or 20P nail and cutting the head into the mace shape and using it. But I just looked and could not find it. I'll search later and add info.