General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Only time I hate being a woman Fair Price?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 02:34 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Only time I hate being a woman Fair Price?

ROVER GUYS:

SEE PICS

Took truck to large company for Cooper tires. 1 1/2 hours after I saw them put my truck on lift they call me and say they don't have tool to remove silver covers off the lug nuts. They said they could cut them off. I came to look at truck situation and they said my passenger side wheel bearing needed replacing so they thought I should have that fixed first. They did not want to put tires on before because it would over heat and not be good for tires. They don't have part so said it should done elsewhere. At the end as an aside statement they said the lug nuts were rusted on and that it will be hard to remove. I did not notice the lug nut off until I was home 15 miles later.

So I did not get sale price for holiday sale and I decided to go to a small shop near me that I was not to sure about. He said he could get same tires at the other shops price (see below) and charge me $225.00 for the wheel bearing with all labor costs and taxes included. So 875.00 total. Fair price? I am a female with too little knowledge. Love the Rover. Male friend who may not be right said to put LOCK EASE on the lug nuts so it would be easier for them to remove wheels.

In southeastern Wisconsin. Thanks for your help.

Attached Thumbnails Only time I hate being a woman    Fair Price?-p_00534.jpg   Only time I hate being a woman    Fair Price?-p_00532.jpg  
Old 09-06-2015, 05:51 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

It looks like you have a DII maybe?
What was the diagnosis for the reason you need a new hub?
$225 is good good for a new hub + installation.

You should probably get new lug nuts to replace the damaged ones. Or remove the metal caps from the ones that still have them.
I use this on lug nuts

Reduce the lug nut torque by about 20% when using it.

Old 09-06-2015, 08:56 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 399 Likes on 383 Posts

That's a D1 wheel and I'll bet they had a great time. I can see they don't know squat, probably don't have an impact socket to fit the lugs either. Yeah, that's a fair price for tires and hub bearings, go with the second place for sure.

Tom, that's about 78 ft/lbs with Never-Seez? Spec is 96 ft/lbs.

Old 09-07-2015, 07:21 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Ah, I thought it looked like a D1 wheel, but the center cap looked too small to me.

Then I take back what I said about $225 being a good price. Assuming replacing the hub bearings is needed rather than just adjusting them, then it's about $40 in parts (that's allowing a lot) and the book time is 45min labor. Evening allowing twice that for labor time, they are over charging. Depending, of course, on what labor rates are there. I shouldn't think they are $123/hr though.

You don't say which tires, so I've no idea if it's a fair price overall for everything.
If you're getting the OE size and highway tread, it's probably an ok price for Cooper tires, with $225 for the hub bearings. That's if you're only getting 4 tires. If it's 5, then I'm guessing they are giving you a really good deal on the tires since they are over charging you on the bearings.

Whatever you do, don't let anyone sell you "P" tires to save you money. The Disco should have LT, or at least what they are calling SUV tires now.

You won't want to hear it, but if one hub is bad, then all 4 should be at least checked, but probably disassembled, cleaned and repacked with grease. They should be done about every 30,000 miles. More often if used in "adverse" conditions. If I buy a Land Rover they are always one of the first things I do. And they've always needed it.

Originally Posted by ihscouts
Tom, that's about 78 ft/lbs with Never-Seez? Spec is 96 ft/lbs.
For that specific anti-seize. Different ones have different reduction factors.
I'll admit that I don't reduce it that much, but technically I'm over-torquing my lug nuts.

Last edited by antichrist; 09-07-2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:40 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The tires are Cooper P235/70/16 I Discoverer A/T3 129.99 for 4 = 519.96
Install / Balance Wheel w/ valve 14.99 ea. =59.96
Road Hazard Protection ( I don't understand what this is ) 12.99 ea = 51.96
Scrap tires 2.50 ea. =10.00
The wheel bearing replaced and labor 225.00