General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Seafoamed Motor, now Service Engine Soon Light Comes on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 04:47 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used Seafoam on my LR3 at 128,000 and when it was time to fire up, it just cranked like crazy, I didn't let up and said - it'll start and it did ... nearly killed the Battery but it ran quieter and for a while .. better
Weil be using it again soon
Terry

Old 05-31-2012, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

You may want to review the instructions on the can, it does not take but just a portion of a can for a treatment, some allow the engine to injest more than the recommended 5-6 ounces or so. They also make a spray which can be easier for some to use. Normally not a problem starting, but be prepared to kill skeeters....

Old 06-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
You may want to review the instructions on the can, it does not take but just a portion of a can for a treatment, some allow the engine to injest more than the recommended 5-6 ounces or so. They also make a spray which can be easier for some to use. Normally not a problem starting, but be prepared to kill skeeters....
I hear ya on that. I definitely unintentionally smogged a bus load of children as they walked down the street after school lol. Should have seen the looks on their faces. All coughing their lungs out.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

lol - I did it to SWMBO van, took off down the road, pickup behind me turned on his headlights because it was so dense.

Old 06-02-2012, 04:37 AM
4wd Low

I used 80% of it in the Engine and the rest in the tank, it didn't cause a cloud but it sure did hesitate to start - then ran better but the tick has returned in all it's glory

And I can not say THANKS enough to the helpful ideas you all have offered
Really - THANKS
Terry

Old 06-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Just to sety the records straight, you use a entire can of Sea Foam or BG to do the induction cleaning, if you want the full results. 20% in the tank is a waste of that 20%.
After doing an induction cleaning, clean the t/body out, then whenever you are going to be out of the road for an hour or so, put a can of Sea Foam or better yet 44K in the tank and drive it hard for the best results.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

From the SeaFoam website:

To clean carbon and varnish deposits from the tops of cylinders and the backs of intake valves, add 1 oz. Sea Foam to each gallon of fuel. Sea Foam will slowly re-liquefy the varnish and gum deposits that hold carbon together.
To remove carbon and varnish deposits more quickly, Sea Foam can be induced directly into the combustion chamber via the following method. With the engine warmed up and running, SLOWLY POUR 1/3 to ½ can of Sea Foam down the carburetor throat or into any main manifold vacuum line that DISTRIBUTES EVENLY TO ALL CYLINDERS. Note that some newer induction systems, like those found on Vortec and Subaru “H” style engines, do not have any vacuum line that distribute evenly. Consequently, this process should only be attempted by technicians with a comprehensive understanding of the engine’s induction system or use Sea Foam Spray through the throttle body (discribed in a different section of this web site).
Once the product has been applied, turn off the engine and allow the Sea Foam to heat soak for a minimum of 10 minutes. At this time, Sea Foam will dissolve the varnish deposits that hold carbon together. After allowing the Sea Foam to soak, restart the engine in a WELL VENTILATED AREA as exhaust will be extreme for a short time. Drive aggressively for 2 to 5 miles to allow all the atomized carbon to be safely expelled from the system. REPEAT SEA FOAM TREATMENT AS NECESSARY.

The standard can is 16 ounces, so 20% would not be enough. SeaFoam's lawyers might not let them tell you to put the full can in the intake system (might strangle a four cylinder Isuzu or other Asian power house). Drive aggressively is not a problem for most Rover owners.

Old 06-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Just to sety the records straight, you use a entire can of Sea Foam or BG to do the induction cleaning, if you want the full results. 20% in the tank is a waste of that 20%.
After doing an induction cleaning, clean the t/body out, then whenever you are going to be out of the road for an hour or so, put a can of Sea Foam or better yet 44K in the tank and drive it hard for the best results.
Thats basically what I did. I did a full bottle of Seafoam in the Intake manifold, then a bottle in the tank and let it sit for 20-30 min. I then cleaned out the throttle body while letting it sit. Other than the SES light on for about a day, its been driving great with no issues.