General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

undercarriage photo of '99 Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm wondering if the large black plug is one of the two inspection hole covers (plugs) in the bellhousing. Once they get oil saturated, they expand, and if removed for some reason are impossible to get back in.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:36 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy U joint failure

Began cross country tour in early Feb. Had vehicle serviced by a mechanic I know well that is in Charlotte. Checked everything. We took it to a friend's shop, did oil change, I took a ton of pix, cleaned transfer and apparently what looked like an oil leak was an old spill as was vuper clean and stayed that way while we tweaked things. Had shaft examined in CLT and then again in New Orleans as I had to replace all 4 tires (long story but should have skipped out on NOLA on Ash Wed and driving the French Quarter following the MG mayhem...anyhow check drive shaft/joints again in Slidell at tire place and headed to FL...turned off the I-10 to get gas at HWY 77 exit in Chipley FL and boom...shaft broke as I made left turn, I shut it off and coasted 20 feet spewing tran fluid. Had no choice but one tow company and auto center and so far has been an experience. Mechanic couldn't find new transmission or used..so I ended up going w/ used (will have rebuilt as soon as I get home) from 91,000mi Disco from Overland Rover that had gotten some cosmetic things for me before, guys at Panhandle Automotive have been super at following forum links and calling nearest dealer 3 hrs away for advice (surprisingly very kindly shared) (and willing to work slow w/ me to get things done right. I ordered my own parts (finally got Tom Woods shaft I should have gotten before I left) but planned to buy another one for parts or a new vehicle and couldn't decide...guess I have my answer.... so far sitting around $3500 but, transmission was going to go eventually so got lucky in that it was a decent whack but, nothing else damaged. Will spend a little more and redo a few other things have run into two things...diff was gear oil and I requested high mileage tran fluid but while it is up there. I am headed up there tomorrow to have a look at how it is going but while they are in there I requested to do some other maintenance..thanks for the (seal message) I've looked at the service manual (all was up to date but anything you guys can suggest is helpful) I have seen multiple posts on fluids and thought everything was good but, would be nice to have a spreadsheet with each and amounts as well as filter kits/change kits and easily accessible part #'s. As far as the radiator hose melt issue (picked up the bleed screws at BMW...no threads left on pipe so had to have hard pipe installed in that section just for this trip and bled air by loosening one hose clamp. It melted a hole because shop guy from an auto parts store wanted to look at screw size and popped it up and I didn't notice when he closed hood he didn't seat pipe back so it was pushed back against hot metal for a three hour drive. had to rig w/ almost too small screw and duct tape to get it home as LR Rockville just wanted me to buy a new car... since them have decided to take this on myself and learn as much as I can and do it myself correctly as I have one guy in Greenville, NC that likes working on Discos and my other guys seem to be more focused on newer car maintenance and not too interested in classics and locating parts or restoration. If you have any suggestions for someone in eastern NC (Greenville area) would be helpful. As far as getting the black plug back in, I'm a chic and I think if you have smaller (and strong) hands you have an advantage there...It wasn't easy and I got it just when I was ready to give up...sorry for the super long post but, been a wild ride and expensive learning experience...

Old 03-02-2012, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

We have had posts of owners with the drive shaft failure submitted a claim to insurance (hit a pot hole, road trash, etc.) and found that it was covered after the regular deductible. The shaft that failed - had it been upgraded to having grease fittings, and if so how often were they greased (not just examined)?

Old 03-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Winching

Hey, has anyone ever thought of making a drive shaft safety loop for these things? We used them in drag racing all the time. Doesn't seem like it would take much or be too difficult.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

There have been recent posts from a new member who actually already makes them.

Old 03-02-2012, 01:05 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
There have been recent posts from a new member who actually already makes them.
Ahh, haven't been by in a while. I know Jeggs has a universal one but it's basically just band steel and some bolts. Seems easy enough to make.