General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

VDO Oil gauge electrical

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 01:40 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VDO Oil gauge electrical

Hi All,

I installed a new VDO oil pressure gauge. Today I installed the VDO sender and adapter and attached the wire.
The lights on the gauge are connected and working. Below that I have a green/white wire on drives side that is connected as it was before and a white wire on passenger side of gauge with a bullet connector.
Anywhere I try and connect the white wire, that seems logical send the gauge needle to max.
I'd rather not fry anything so any advice would be appreciated.
Where does the wire go? do I have a short?

Thanks
Steve

Old 03-30-2013, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Did you run a new wire to the sender or are you using the one that went to the oil pressure switch? Any wiring diagram come with your kit? Helps if you put model and year in signature, a 110 has different wiring from a LR3.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-30-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 02:15 PM
Drifting

Sorry. Thought I did. It's a 1993 defender 110.
I didn't run a new wire. Was trying to use existing.

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Did you run a new wire to the sender or are you using the one that went to the oil pressure switch? Any wiring diagram come with your kit? Helps if you put model and year in signature, a 110 has different wiring from a LR3.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Perhaps a test would be to run some simple wire out the window and under the bonnet and connect to the sensor and gauge, just to verify that everything works. Then take on the issue of what wire you'll have to change, or if running new wire is needed. In most Rovers with just an oil pressure warning light, plus volts comes to the light, then the other side of the light is connected to the oil PSI switch, which grounds it to turn on the bulb.

Even some old gauge senders varied resistance to ground. Some new gauges "float" above ground electrically, and need both sides of sensor run back to gauge. Some sensors have one terminal, and use the blockl for the ground conection. Some sensors have two terminals, and you ground one of them. And they even have a sensor with two terminals, one drives the gauge and the other the warning light.

VDO makes good gauges, used in lots of things, they have a manual http://www.dnvdo.com/files/8207/2012...68ab30a80a.pdf that covers many of them. You may well have to end up running dedicated wires.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 03-30-2013 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:53 PM
Drifting

Mine has two contacts. One to the gauge and one to warning light. if I'm not mistaken.
Ill check the manual.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Perhaps a test would be to run some simple [/B]wire out the window and under the bonnet and connect to the sensor and gauge, just to verify that everything works. Then take on the issue of what wire you'll have to change, or if running new wire is needed. In most Rovers with just an oil pressure warning light, plus volts comes to the light, then the other side of the light is connected to the oil PSI switch, which grounds it to turn on the bulb.

Even some old gauge senders varied resistance to ground. Some new gauges "float" above ground electrically, and need both sides of sensor run back to gauge. Some sensors have one terminal, and use the blockl for the ground conection. Some sensors have two terminals, and you ground one of them. And they even have a sensor with two terminals, one drives the gauge and the other the warning light.

VDO makes good gauges, used in lots of things, they have a manual http://www.dnvdo.com/files/8207/2012...68ab30a80a.pdf that covers many of them. You may well have to end up running dedicated wires.

Last edited by schweiger; 03-31-2013 at 11:49 AM.