General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Vibrating Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vibrating Brakes

Hello Everyone,
I have a question for you. Starting recently, when I apply the brakes I feel a slight vibration through the pedal and the vehicle. It doesn't happen steadily, and is hard to replicate. It also only starts to apply at the last bit of braking before coming to a halt. My initial thought was that it would be worn pad or warped rotor related, but would that not happen steadily throughout the braking process?

To clarify, it is not the ABS. I am familiar with that sensation, and this is not as aggressive a feeling as that.

To provide any additional background information:
- My brakes have been squeaking/squeeling under application for quite some time now. It's quite noticable, although not fully deafening. To the best of my knowledge this hasn't affected my braking abilities.
- I have swapped wheels recently, and installed a lift. I don't think my brakelines are under any stress, as I removed the fasteners to allow them a bit more slack while articulating/steering.
- My vehicle has been making some solid creaking sounds as of late. It's linked to bumps/dips and I suspect suspension related. I'm installing some shock relocation brackets next week, and will be going through the suspension system fully to see if I can find a creaking bushing or some other culprit.
- I'm running BFG AT's... could this simply be the slightly knobby tread running under braking pressure?

I can't see any of these being related, but I figured I'd list them just in case they were linked in any way.

I plan on checking the rotors and pads next week when I do the brackets. However, I just wanted to know if there was anything else I should be looking for while I've got the rig on jacks?

Thanks,

John

Old 08-25-2011, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Rotors sound like warped slightly, perhaps. Pads of course. Sometimes in combination with wheel bearings. Left to their own devices this can become part of an oscillation called the "Death Wobble", which can involve other parts as well. Might also check while changing rear pads for any grease thrown out by seal between wheel and axle, can be caused by diff oil being foced thru seal by clogged up vent tube or the banjo bolt that vents the axle. While doing all this you should service the front swivels oil/grease if that has been been awhile. You will already be dirty enough.

You can also use an IR thermometer to shoot the discs after a drive, those one each axle should be close in temp, can show up sticking caliper, or warped rotor (friction = heat).

Noises could be any of a number of bushings.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:52 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your rotors may be warped. This happens sometimes if they get wet while hot. Like if you are riding and the wash it before they can cool. Or one rotor is worn more than the other. Change your pads and have the rotors turned.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:47 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

never turn/cut Land Rover rotors replace them, there is not enough meat on them to cut them. If you do find someone to cut them, they will warp in very shot order.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

x2 on the don't shave/turn/cut -